main tank itch HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

remora420

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hey hows it going. so my coral beauty go the itch real bad and gave it to a few other fish. i dont know what to do because its in my main tank and i have a few inverts and and anemone what do i do to save my main tank
please help thank you.....

If the fish are healthy they should be able to fight off the ich. You can feed food soaked in garlic guard and I have also mixed into the food Metronidazole made by seachem.
I am no expert on this having only had it in my tank once and I lost the host fish but my other tang got it and is now healthy.

Best way is to set up a QT tank and take the fish out of your main tank and treat..

If just several spots have appeared, then I agree with the feeding of vitamin enriched foods and keep up the water changes. If a full infestation is in effect, your best bet is to painstakingly catch all the fish out and qt them. This is where hyposalinity comes in; otherwise, you will have to take notice of the parasites cycle. Since they have a drop-off period, you would have to vacuum the sand during that stage in hopes of providing some relief to your fish. Meanwhile, keeping them well fed with plenty of vitamins in order to keep their immunity levels up. It wouldn't hurt to raise the temp (80-82), which will advance the cycle stages.

I agree with the rest. To add to innovator's advice, if you go the vacuuimg the sand, ICH tends to fall off at night when/where the fish are sleeping. I believe the best bet is a QT, otherwise the few will quickly turn into many.

thanks guys! im gonna have to take em all out. i know the inverts are fine left in the main, but what about scallops, clams, and anemones, can they host? do i qt them too? and do i leave the sg alone in the main tank and just lower the qt sg? thanks for all the help guys!

Inverts are not affected by ich, so they should be fine. All of the above are considered invers, including clams, sacllops and anemones....

Back
Top Bottom