Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-27-2005, 03:32 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Quote:
One guy at LFS suggested we feed them lettuce, for the Majestic
No nutritional value, neither does the brine.
Have you tried Ocean Nutrition's angel fish food? My Maculosus scarfs it up and I also has the sponges in it that these big angels need.
I know you are getting brow beaten on this, but honestly even a 75 gallon is too small if you wish to keep this fish long term, 150 or bigger is best for any large angel. With the load you currently have, water quality is going to become a major concern sooner rather than later.

Old 05-27-2005, 03:40 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Tank too small for Majestic - I agree

Thanks for the advice on the food. I was skeptical about the lettuce, but surprised that brine shrimp don't have any nutritional value.

We've been feeding them frozen angel food pellets that we dice up for sharing. But the Majestic hasn't been seen eating any of it.

Sadly he's on the downhill slide - very inactive now - I fear he's doomed.

I agree with advice that our tank is too small for him, but I can't seem to convice my wife & daughter (sigh)

I think when he passes to fish heaven, I'll discourage replacement and try to keep us down to four fish in this 40g tank. Puffer is the big load of course, and precludes us from having any inverts or vulnerable fish like blennies (

But we love the puffer.

Long range goal is a bigger tank.

Thanks again.

- Bob

Old 05-27-2005, 08:24 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

"Discouragement"? there should be no question.

I find it hard to believe that people buy such expensive animals without reading up on their general care and needs. Just gonna watch him die in a small cramped tank and do nothing. Why not take the angel's health into consideration and take the fish back to the LFS to be nursed back to health and given a more appropriate home.

Honestly, you probably spent more cash on the fish then the set up. What gives???
9 Watt UV Ster.
100lbs. Live Rock (Fiji,Tonga Br)
125lbs. Aragonite Base
Maculosus Angel~Yellow Tang~Flame Hawk~Canary Blenny~Pajama Cardinal~Bl Yel Tl Damsel~Brittle Star

10 Gallon Sea Clear Acrylic est. 7-05
Whisper HOB w/carbon+ 1 rio 400 PH
65 watt 12K PC
DSB + 6lbs. Fiji LR/2lbs. Base R
5 Bl Leg Hermits/ 5 Astrea Snails
1 Serpeant Star/ 1 Whte Burr Star
Leather Coral
Orange+Green Zoos
Growth of Halimeda
SALTYDAWGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 08:32 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Re: cramped tank

Our adult daughter, the one who got us into SW, did read up on the majestic angel and decided it was both beautiful and compatible. Unfortunately the web page she read didn't say anything about tank size.

Actually we have way more in the setup than in the fish. I think this angel was $50.

Don't get me wrong, I'm upset about this, but I'm not the fish emperor and have to contend with strongly opinioned wife & daughter (she's a lawyer, so you can imagine).

The majestic is now very lethargic, basically not moving around at all. Do you think it's too late to take him back to LFS? Any chance they could save him?

BTW I don't see how they maintain fish with such tank size needs. When we bought him ~ 2 weeks ago he was in an 8x8" cube. Maybe that was OK b/c he was alone? Or maybe he could survive in there for a week or so? I don't know.

I do appreciate your advice.
Old 05-27-2005, 08:52 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Quote:
When we bought him ~ 2 weeks ago he was in an 8x8" cube. Maybe that was OK b/c he was alone? Or maybe he could survive in there for a week or so? I don't know.
Ya short term its ok. Most LFS's move them fast.
Do you have another tank (qt) you can isolate this fish? Any other symptoms? Spots? eroding fins?
Old 05-27-2005, 09:02 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't think you should by any fish from that LFS from now on because they don't seem to care about their fish. Keeping an angelfish that could easily hit 11 inches in an 8 x 8 in cube is just wrong, even if they plan to sell it in a week. Angelfish need a lot of space and a 40 gal. tank is way too small. Even if you brought it back to ther fish store, they would just throw it in that little tank again. The only other thing you can do is give to someone with a large tank, but they probably wouldn't even take it from you anyway because its near its death. Sorry if I sounded a little harsh, but things like these can really be dissapointing to hear. Good luck
Old 05-28-2005, 11:01 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

I probably came off like a real jerk, but the maj is my favorite angel and I hate hearing stories like this. It is a touchy fish to get acclimated, but once it is eating and used to its home, you can expect +8 years of one of the most beautiful pieces of living moving art. I had one for 4 years. I sold it to a buddy that killed him and I still feel badly about the whole thing. $50 is a really good deal. A good LFS will take the time to talk to you about this kind of fish and what it needs. You might want to reconsider where you buy your fish and products. I go to a fish store and talk to the same couple of guys every time. They are familiar with what I have as far as set up and livestock. Knowing this they can give me reccomendations on livestock and dry goods. Many times, they ushered me out the door without opening my wallet because they knew I would be making a mistake. I am loyal to the store and they know it is because of the service they provide.

9 Watt UV Ster.
100lbs. Live Rock (Fiji,Tonga Br)
125lbs. Aragonite Base
Maculosus Angel~Yellow Tang~Flame Hawk~Canary Blenny~Pajama Cardinal~Bl Yel Tl Damsel~Brittle Star

10 Gallon Sea Clear Acrylic est. 7-05
Whisper HOB w/carbon+ 1 rio 400 PH
65 watt 12K PC
DSB + 6lbs. Fiji LR/2lbs. Base R
5 Bl Leg Hermits/ 5 Astrea Snails
1 Serpeant Star/ 1 Whte Burr Star
Leather Coral
Orange+Green Zoos
Growth of Halimeda
SALTYDAWGY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
angel, eat

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com