major help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

acuraguy55

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I got a 55 gallon reef set up in hawaii.
running:
330 penguin filter
tetratec filter
230g rio
also a ugf
for substrate i got this fine gravel.
i need help with my tank. i notice that my fish always gets ich. like i had nothing in the tank after i cycled it with a eel then all of a sudden, the fish broke out with ich. Even after waiting a month, the ich still comes back. its recent victim was a imperor angle. it was doing great then al of a sudden it broke out with ich. the body stated to turn white ich. what am i doing wrong. i want to quit the fish if i cannot fix this problem.

The ich cycle can last longer than a month. Chances are your fish are getting way to stressed out during acclimation causing a drop in their immune systems which is producing your ich breakouts. I would wait atleast 6 weeks before making my next purchase and then do a nice hour long drip acclimation with the lights out and leave them out for 24 hours. Also what are your exact water parameters?

So many filters 8O

You need to put fish in a QT and leave main fishless for 6-8 weeks. Treat fish in QT with hypo or copper.

there are alot of factors that can be contributing to the ich, the UGF being one, possible overcrowding and stress factors of the fish. (an imp angel does not belong in a tank that size)

What else is in your tank? Other fish? Any inverts? How long has it been set up?
What are your water parameters (pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, temp, SG)?

As already stated you need to keep the main tank free of fish for 6-8 weeks. Inverts and LR are ok.

Put any fish you have left in a Quarantine and treat them with Hyposalinity.

Ich usually happens occurs when fish are stressed and/or the water parameters are not ideal (which causes stress in itself).

Back
Top Bottom