Malachite Green treatment /ammonia check

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wael El-Dasher

Aquarium Advice Activist
Sorry but I posted a similar post in the wrong section and can't figure out how to delete it. Here is my advice request...

I am treating a pacific blue tang with Malachite Green. The manufacturer's instruction dosage says to change 50% of the water on the 3rd and 5th days and can use full dose again.

My issue is my QT, where the treatment is taking place, just finished a hypo salinity treatment recently, so my filters have little bacteria and hasn't cycled before starting the malachite treatment with this fish, so ammonia will likely be an issue.

Does anyone know if ammonia testing, with malachite in the water, yield any realistic readings or will the readings be off?

Secondly, the instructions say to not feed the fish or give minimal feedings. I was thinking of pulling the fish out everyday and placing it in a the small hospital tank with clean water, just for feedings, then putting it back in the QT. Is that a good idea? How did others deal with feedings?

Thanks in advance.

cheers

Wael

Well, I didn't get any feedback so I decided to treat it just like the copper treatment. So I performed a 50% PWC and made up the difference in meds so the amount is the same.

I am still not sure about the feeding part but the fish seemed very hungry, so I fed it very few flakes. I really hope the fish would be OK.

Any advice is appreciated.

cheers

W.

You have two options, either perform a 50% water change daily and redose accordingly at 50% the original dose or perform a water change every 3 days just prior to redosing. If you perform 50% water changes daily you shouldn't have any NH3 problems, but if you go with water changes every 3 days I'd look at 75%. It is likely the NH3 tests will be altered by the medication, which is typical. Make sure you DO FEED your fish, even if just enriched live brine shrimp or mysis.

Thanks! I am a bit worried about the dosage too. The instructions say to add 10ml/100liters (25 gallons), then in 3 days perform a 50% PWC and redose a full dosage again, so it's a 50% increase of malachite. On day 5, to perform another 50% PWC with a full dose again, thus doubling the amount of meds.

What's worrying me is on the few sites I did find that mention malachite dosage, it's typically 10ml/50gallons. Which is 1/2 the original dosage the meds I'm using say to use. Furthermore, I've read that scaleless fish are much more sensitive to such treatment so the dosage should be conservative.

I'm not sure what to do.

So far the fish is behaving normally.

Thanks again.

Now I'm really worried. That means my dosage is 4x as strong! Why would the manufacturer recommend such a strong dosage and expect it to double in 5 days? Is it because the strength of malachite weaker in their med? I'll try to find a link to their instructions and post it.

I found the instructions online...here it is.

Punktol ultra

Pharmaceutical company: JBL GmbH & Co. KG
67141 Neuhofen, Germany, +49(0)623641800
100 ml solution as additive for 1000 l aquarium water
500 ml solution as additive for 5000 l aquarium water

Medication for aquarium fish to counteract single-celled skin parasites.
In freshwater these include: Ichthyophthirius, Ichthyobodo (Costia),
Heteropolaria, Chilodonella, Tetrahymena, Trichodina, Glossatella. In
saltwater: Cryptocarion, Brooklynella, Uronema. Grainy white dots on the
skin, fins and gills of the fish are characteristic of white spot disease caused by Ichthyophthirius in freshwater fish.

In saltwater this disease is caused by Cryptocarion: these spots are larger, almost pure white and less numerous than in freshwater. The medication is also effective against the frequently recurring stubborn strains of Ichthyophthirius. This common mass fish death is reliably treated or prevented. Velvety and thin, blue-white skin coatings on freshwater fish indicate infection with the bean-shaped skin blemisher Costia (Ichthyobodo). A carpet-like white coating around the mouth area often occurring in gourami after injury or other preinfection, is caused by
the bell animalcule Heteropolaria colisarum. In the case of infection with the parasites mentioned above, as well as others, the following unspecific
symptoms can also be observed: rapid breathing, rubbing on objects, sticky fins, refusal to feed, reduced movement, apathy, dark colouration, increased production of mucus.

Contra-indications: none known.

Caution: Long-term damage may occur to corals and other invertebrates
in saltwater. Fish should therefore be treated separately in a quarantine
tank if possible. Intolerance may be shown by invertebrates in freshwater
(shrimp, crustacean etc.). They should be excluded from treatment as
a precaution. Fish without scales (loaches and catfish) and weakened
fish may react sensitively to the medication. Start with a half dose before
carefully increasing.

Side-effects: None known. If your fish show signs of side-effects, please
inform JBL, your vet or pharmacist.

Reactions with other medications: An additional application of a half dose
of JBL Ektol Cristal with the first dose of Punktol ultra is beneficial. The use of water conditioners at the same time may cause Punktol ultra to be less effective. Using other medications at the same time, especially JBL Fungol, may cause unwanted and unpredictable side-effects and should therefore be avoided.

Application:
Before application any active carbon must be removed from the filter, UV-C appliances and CO2 fertilizers switched off and, in saltwater, skimmers and ozonisers should be switched off. 50 % of the water should be changed prior to application.

Note: Medications should generally be added in the morning and the
animals observed.

Dose and length of treatment:

• Ichthyophthirius (white spot in freshwater)and Cryptocarion (white spot in saltwater): 10 ml for 100 l water on 1st day. On 3rd, 5th day etc. until 15th day give a full dose.

• Costia (skin-blemisher): 10 ml for 100 l water on 1st day. On 3rd, 5th and 7th day give a full dose.

• All other parasites:10 ml for 100 l water on 1st day and on 3rd day give a full dose.
Immediately before each repeat dose, 30 – 50 % of the water should be
changed. A temporary increase in temperature to 30° C is beneficial to
treatment of all diseases, so long as the fish can tolerate this. In particularly severe cases of all diseases, especially stubborn strains of Ichthyophthirius, longer treatment than stated above may be necessary.
Filtering and feeding during treatment: Biologically highly active filters
which have not been cleaned for a long time may reduce effectiveness of the medication. We therefore recommend cleaning the filter slightly before use - not too thoroughly in order to retain some of the cleansing bacteria.

No food, or very little, should be given during treatment if possible. Note in the event of overdosing, interrupted or prematurely terminated
treatment: In the event of an overdose, half the water should be changed.
If a dose is omitted, this should be given as soon as possible and treatment continued as prescribed.

After treatment: Filter through active carbon (JBL Carbomec Active or Carbomec Ultra) for 24 hours after treatment in order to remove any residual traces of medication. Discard carbon afterwards. A daily dose of JBL Acclimol (in freshwater only) should then be given for one week to fortify the immune system of the fish and promote the healing of the injuries sustained from the parasites. The addition of JBL FilterStart to the filter or JBL Denitrol to the aquarium water is helpful in replacing any damaged cleansing bacteria.
• Keep out of reach of children.
• Not to be used for animals intended for the food chain.
• Not to be used after expiry date.
• Protect from light, heat and moisture, store in original packaging.
• The active ingredient causes water discolouration which quickly disappears.
• This product may stain.
• Decorative objects made of plastic and transparent silicon adhesive
seals may become discoloured.
• For further questions regarding use please ask your vet or pharmacist.
• Ch-B.; best before date: see packaging
• Shelf life after the immediate packaging has been opened for the first
time: 12 months.
• This veterinary medicine is marketed in accordance with the Small
Animal Exemption Scheme. SAM0012
SPECIAL PRECAUTIONS FOR THE PERSON HANDLING THE PRODUCT.
There is limited evidence that crystal violet may cause cancer. Avoid skin
contact by wearing appropriate protection. Use gloves when handling this
product. In case of contact with skin, wash immediately with plenty of water and soap. Harmful if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion seek medical advice immediately. Severe eye irritant. In case of accidental eye contact, rinse immediately with plenty of water and seek immediate medical advice.

Undiluted substance may cause long-term adverse effects in the aquatic
environment. Dispose of empty packaging and any remaining product in
the household refuse. Do not litter the environment with the product or its
container. Treated aquarium water may be disposed of down the drain with
other household wastewater.

Effective ingredients according to type and amount:

100 g contains:
Malachite green oxalate 20 mg
Crystal violet 40 mg
Methylene blue 80 mg

Back
Top Bottom