Maldives starfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nikki_pip

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi,
I have a Maldives starfish which the last two days it's leg/arm has nearly fallen off!! It hasn't moved alot either does anyone know when s starfish is dead?
Thanks

IMO, he's doomed. the rest of his legs will fall off shortly and he'll turn to mush.
most starfish don't fare well in captivity. even the collection process can kill them. it takes a little while though, so when you get him he may look fine, but he's already on the way out.
as far as knowing when they are dead, i don't think anyone can answer that with 100% accuracy, without doing extensive testing, examining these creatures at different stages of their decline. i don't think there is any articles on this to date.

if i am correct, and the starfish doesn't bounce back and grow a new leg, i'm sorry about your trouble. you might try some of the more hardier starfish, like the serpent stars and brittle stars. they seem to do pretty well, and you can hand feed them meaty foods.

Ok thanks for your help, I have had it 4months seemed to be doing well untill the last two days..

I have heard they could poison the whole tank if they die..

Was never told to fed the starfish meaty food always been told they live off the dirt on the tank??? Should of I fed it??

oh..4 months..i thought you just got it. that's a bit different. no, i don't think it's going to poison the tank. it probably starved to death. most of the starfish sold in stores' diets are unknown.

Ok thanks it's leg has fallen off now... Another one has started to fold backwards think it is on its way out... :-(

Back
Top Bottom