Mandarins dont get Ich??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

acid_burn

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is this true?

I read it in another forum it says that they produce an oily substance on thier skin. And then it went on about how medications can kill them.

I'm extremely concerned now cause I currently have one and took him out due to an outbreak of ich in my main tank. Now I have taken him out of QT, can I put him back in my main?

I was leaving my main fallow for the next 6 weeks to treat the ich, if I put him back does that mean the ich cant reproduce on him??

Also is my lawnmower blenny safe in the QT w/cuprimine?

Thanks,
Rich

acid_burn said:
Is this true?
Nope. They can still be affected but their increadibley heavy (and poisonous) slime coat does make them extremely resiliant.

And then it went on about how medications can kill them.
They are actually quite sensitive to most meds including medicated and plain RO dips. It makes treating/keeping them extremely difficult. Formalin would definately be out and copper is iffy. Hypo would be the better choice (slim) but you still have the problem of feeding. :(

can I put him back in my main?
I was leaving my main fallow for the next 6 weeks to treat the ich, if I put him back does that mean the ich cant reproduce on him??
Unfortunately the parasite can still use the mandarine as a host and continue the life cycle albeit slowly. It really does present quite a dilema.

Also is my lawnmower blenny safe in the QT w/cuprimine?
The blenny should weather the Cupramine fine. Just be sure you have some algae based foods on hand or even try some nori sheets. You won't get any film algae in a copper treated QT.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom