Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-15-2004, 06:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Mantis

I just found a large mantis in my tank. It's about 4" long and maybe 3/4" wide. I've never heard any clicking from my main tank til yesterday. When I investigated, I seen it. It was out in the open hanging out on it's rock. I've fed it and it's not shy at all about taking food. I'm wondering now though what it's been eating to stay alive. I've not noticed anything missing for months. I guess it could be taking out some snails and hermits without me noticing. I don't know, I guess I'm just dumbfounded that I'd have something this big in my tank and not know it and needed to tell someone. I guess now I gotta catch it.

Old 06-15-2004, 07:17 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

It should be fairly easy since you know where he hides. If you can, take the rock out, being careful to keep your fingers away from his burrow, and submerge the rock in a hypo solution...either that or soda water. He will shoot out pretty quickly.

Careful though...they pack a big punch.

Squishy

175gallon reef

5,100 gal pond

Fish are people too!
SquishyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 07:32 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, I will probably do a hypo dip. I don't want to kill it so I'm pondering alternatives. I set up a 30L tank once for a very small mantis and after a few months decided a mantis really didn't need a 30g tank to itself and added a 6" eel to the tank. Haven't seen the mantis since and the eel is hiding in the hole the mantis used. I don't want to set up another tank for this guy but I may end up doing that. They are cool critters. I'll just keep him fed til I decide what to do. He's a little intimidating. When I fed it, I used a feeding stick and it about pulled the stick out of my hand. 8O
Old 06-15-2004, 09:27 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

(I was going to start my own thread about this, but saw yours and figured I misewell combine them. I'm not trying to hijack your thread. )

I just got some more live rock over the weekend and Saturday night I heard the clicking for the first time.
Oy.

He came out of the rock while the lights were on last night, so I caught him with a net on a stick. I felt bad, but I figured it was him or my other creatures.

Last night I heard the clicking again. A little bit softer than before.
Sounds like I have another Mantis in there. Jeesh! And it was only 14 pounds of live rock!

Anyway, this one seems reluctant to come out and visit (I wonder why...).

If I use a bucket of carbonated water that matches my tank temp and salinity to flush the mantis out, will I preserve the other life on the rock?
It is absolutley covered in nice stuff, and I wouldn't want to kill it all to get the mantis.

I do have a 10 gallon tank I am going to try and get set up tonight before the fizzy attempt, so that I can hopefully put the mantis in there and not kill two of them in two days.

Anyway, any advice or opinions on the saftey of the carbonated water would be appreciated!

PS: Why do mantis shrimp have to look so ugly? They're like ocean cockroaches!
Old 06-15-2004, 10:21 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do not use the carbonated water. A simple high sg dip will work just as well with out killing alot of stuff.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 05:24 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

How high are we talking?
Over 1.030?
Old 06-16-2004, 07:16 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I did mine at 1.035

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 03:17 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Okay, I'll try that tonight! (although my meter only goes to 1.030...)
Old 06-16-2004, 04:33 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I think Mantis are one of the most beautiful creatures in the ocean. For years I've seen them in bellies of fish I have caught . Just found out a couple of years ago, you can actually buy them for a tank. I am going to start a mantis tank once I transfer my nano to a 100gal. Can't wait. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I also think cockroaches are pretty cool too. Had a Taiwanese roach for a pet for 1 1/2 yrs as well. Ya I know I'm sick.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com