Maracyn double strength?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamal-188

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've been told to use Maracyn II at double the dosage, do I do the same for must regula Maracyn? I"m goiing to try and treat my few remaining fish if I can somehow catch them tomorrow.

Chris :cry:

Chris,
I just read about your problems...sorry man. I can relate, this year has been one big problem with my system. Don't loose the faith and stick close to the site. Lots of help and support here. :wink:
Ok, as for the Maracyn II I have used it a double strength with no issues in qt. In fact it worked quite well.

Thanks for your supports, I"M not going to give up even though I"m really discouraged at this point.

So I can use reguar maracyn I at double strength as well? It doesn't say to remove carbon but I'm assuming I should?

Yes in fact many encourage to use at double strength. definitely remove the carbon.

Ok, treated double strength and removed the carbon.

I lost a clown today in my hospital tank :cry: All I have left now is a yellow tang one more clown and a blue devil that I can't catch out of my 110 :cry:

Assuming I catch and treat all the fish do I need to wait any certain period of time to add them back to my tank...I don't want them getting sick right away again.

LOL.. I mean what specific problem is the Maracyn being used for?

Cheers
Steve

Sorry...lol, I was wondering why you asked despite the topic and discussion so far. I'm treating some type of bacterial infection I guess. It's white fuzzy spots on the fish and one of the yellow tangs eyes is a bit hazy.

Bacterial infections are not always "transferable" from fish to fish much like lympho and the like, most fish are able to fight off the problem. It really depends on what it is and the water conditions in the tank. If the fish in your main is not showing any signs of the problem, you can leave it be. The only real time you need to remove all fish is with parasites, with bacterial problems removing only the fish that needs treating is required.

Treat the fish you have in the QT for a full seven days at double the dose daily. They're already there so might as well continue. While they are being treated, do several large water changes on the main display with well aged SW to bring down any remaining DOC. Maracyn I may also not be that effective but if that's all you could find give it a whirl.

Cheers
Steve

Is there something different you recommend other than maracyn I? I work at thatfishplace so I can pretty much get anything. I"m not real sure if the maracyn is actually working....my yellow tang died today despite a large WC in the med tank and another treatment. and I already lost a clown in the Q tank even though he was eating and acting normal the night before. This is so frustrating, all I have left now is a clown in my med tank, a blue devil in my display that I can't catch and a cleaner wrasse that has been MIA for 3 days so I"m assuming he's dead.

I"m not sure if it's a bacterial infection because it seemed to spread from fish to fish. It was just fuzzy white spots that seemed to stay about the same size then overnight they would worsen and kill the fish. Each dead fish had a large white spot around it's anus when I found it dead.

I don't know if something is wrong with my tank or water or what. Eveythings test out at 0 and my I run chemi-pure, my skimmer is a little undersized but still pulls a good amount of junk from the water. I do bi-weekly water changes usually about 25 gallons. I have a 5 stage RO/DI unit for all water that's added to my tank. I place all new fish in a Q tank for several weeks before introducing them into my displace but I still have problem after problem.

Thanks again everyone!!

Maracyn I would never be my first choice for anything in SW. Maracyn II is often the good "all round" med but not always. In most cases it's all you need though. The truely hard part of it all is knowing exactly what you are treating.

There are many good products but each works a little better on different circumstances. If your sure this is a bacterial problem and not a parasite like velvet or brooklynella, you might want to opt for Furacyn. 30mg/gal as a single treatment (one dose) and keep the fish there for 3-5 days. Run some carbon prior to use and do a good sized water change to remove the Maracyn I.

Any obvious signs of an internal parasite mabye?

Cheers
Steve

I"m not real sure of signs of a internal parasite.

The clownfish, which was the last fish in my med tank died this morning, so I guess the maracyn really didn't work.

I"m going to try and read up on illness and parasites so I"m better prepared next time. I"ve tried reading in a few books but most of the illness/parasite diagrams are just drawings instead of real life pictures so I still have a hard time identifying problems. Any specific sites or books you recommend on these topics or on medications?

All that is left in my display is a blue devil that seems to be okay even though he was flashing a few days ago......I"m going to keep a real close eye on him in for the next several days. Should I leave my main tank fallow for any certain period of time? It will at least be a few weeks while I have a new fish in my Q tank.

Steve would better know but if it were me, I would leave it fallow for 6 weeks. Just my opinion. I think better safe that sorry.
Sorry guy. :(

jamal-188 said:
Any specific sites or books you recommend on these topics or on medications?
Not really in the sense you mean. All are basically similar in that they show you microscopic slides of the aflictions but no "live" fish specimens as a comparisson which can make it rather tough since the general references to each problem can be ambiguous. The key is to ID a given affliction so that is where I would spend your efforts. Once properly ID'd, treatment is easy to recommend and implement in most cases. I would just keep looking online at various reference sites in hopes of catching a few images. I'd ignore most of the additional info about how and why though, tends to be rather conflicting. About the best author to look for is Dr. E. J. Noga in terms of accuracy. There are a few sites that quote Shawn Prescott but I would just look at some of the available images and only lightly scan the articles.

Should I leave my main tank fallow for any certain period of time? It will at least be a few weeks while I have a new fish in my Q tank.
Sounds to me like you may have not ID'd this problem correctly and I would err on the side of caution. As Quarryshark said, would be safest. I wouldn't beat yourself up about it though, some problems can be obvious but many more are quite dificult to pinpoint without a microscope..

It might also be an idea to figure out how this problem came about in the display tank and take steps to eliminate/prevent it in future.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom