Maracyn II and water changes in a Q tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamal-188

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, have a filamented flasher wrasse and a chromis in my 10g Q tank. I've been doing water changes every 2-3 days to keep the water quality good. I've noticed a few very faint white patches on the wrasse. I'm guessing it's some type of bacterical infection? He seems to be acting normal but I saw the chromis scratch tonight. I don't see anything on him but who knows?

I got some Maracyn II which from what I read is pretty much an all around good treatment. I've been told to double the dosage for 7 days, but what do I do if I'm doing water changes every 2-3 days? Do I need to add more or just do a water change then dose for that day?

Just do water changes and dose each day as per the directions. Have used it myself this way with success.

If you haven't already started the treatment, I would actually suggest a nitrofurazone based med. With the chromis there is the possibility of Uronema causing the white rash. Either way it should treat both problems at once.

Cheers
Steve

Haven't started treatment yet. I think I may have to wait until monday at work though to get the treatment you suggest Steve....don't know if that is a good idea waiting or not?

2 Days shouldn't make that much difference but be sure to do so on Monday.

Treat @ 30mg/gal as a one time dose and leave the med in for about 5 days total.

Cheers
Steve

Ok, just to make sure I"m good here....

I got Furan 2 by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals

Each tablet contains 60mg nitrofurazone, 25mg furazolidone and 2mg methylene blue trihydrate(I'm guessing this is what colors the water)

So, I'll add 5 of these tablets today for my 10g tank and if I need to do a water change just add 30mg more per gallon of water. The direction say to add tablets each day etc... but I trust you Steve over anybody :wink:

The directions I gave you should work just fine if bacterial. If Uronema, it will depend on how advanced it became before treatment started. Just remember all fish will need to be treated.

Post back with your results in a few days.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom