Maracyn-Two and Melafix Combo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdellin

Aquarium Advice Addict
Does anyone know if these two can be used together?

I have a regal tang who is sick. Just got back from vacation and she's not looking good at all. Checked water perameters and they are okay. No ammonia, nitrite and PH is 8.2. Nitrates are 80 (I know it's high, need to do a water change, but I don't think that would affect her this way.)

Anyway, I read the pamphlet from the Maracyn product and her symptoms are: sluggish appears to be wasting away, color loss and when I noticed she was sick, she was stuck on the intake of a powerhead, so obviously she's not feeling well to get sucked up to in. She has a hicky where she was attached. Not sure how long she was stuck there.

I put her in a QT tank with water from the main, a little new salt water added. I added melafix for the open/red wound from the powerhead.

The symptoms say I should try Maracyn-Two, but didn't know if I could since I added melafix. Any advice?

No other obvious signs of anything like paracites or dropsy or any fungus.

I would not treat unless you know what the problem is. The best medicine if you dont know is frequent PWC`s to get you water at it`s best. Maybe QT him under excellent water conditions. Is there anything else you can tell us about him?

I would suggest doing some PWCs before you do more medicating. I have read that a tank that is not well maintained (not pointing fingers) or hasn't had a PWC for a while the bacteria in the tank will/can use the Melafix/Pimafix as a food source, possibly causing an algae bloom that will suck up the dissolved O2, further stressing the fish.
I'm not too sure if you can use them right after the other.

They are both treatments for bacteria. I personally never mix meds nor do I dose unless I know the outcome I desire. Maracyn2 (Minocycline) is a stronger med than Melafix so you would be better of using that one since the fish has an open wound. Switching meds would require a 100% water change and/or place activated carbon in the filter/tank to eliminate residual Melafix. If you can get a pic for us that would be helpful since we would be shooting in the dark without further information about the fish.

I'd kill the lights and get her some good water and see how that goes for a bit. There's a chance it was a freak accident and she just needs to heal. If anything I'd start w/ the Melafix in QT (only because I'm not a big believer that it's a healer/combatant more than a relaxer).

Like was said before, you have to know what you have to treat it. She may just be exhausted from being a door stop for a period of time. I'm wavering(sp) on pre-treating for the possible infection from the hickey and I imagine using a comb like we did in highschool is not an option :)

It doesn't matter now. She's gone. I've had her for a long time.
I do keep the water in pretty good shape. Last time I did a PWC and checked perameters, the nitrates were at 40. Everything else is good so I'm not sure what the problem is. All the other fish, anemone and corals are fine. I'm making more water now for a 30% water change to get the nitrates down.

Actually, about a month or so ago, the temperature dropped to 73 before I noticed that something had killed my heater. I immediately got another heater in there, but it took a little while to heat up to the normal temp. At that time, Dori did not look good. All other fish were okay. I could see Dori's ribs after that for awhile, but have been feeding them all normally and since she'd been eating like a pig, I thought she was okay. It could be she just didn't do well with the temp drop. She never did fatten up after that. She was fine before that as far as I could tell, but I had never noticed her ribs showing before that temp drop. Maybe this could be the problem???

Anyway, I will get my nitrates down, get the QT cleaned out and started up again and see if I can find another regal tang at some point. I'm certainly not very interested in looking at new fish at the moment, but I know I will want to soon.

That sucks... Sounds like you're a good patron saint for the fishes. Sometimes things happen that can't be helped. Good luck with the rest and the new residents when you're up for it.

Back
Top Bottom