Marble starfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Txcachem

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got a marble starfish Saturday. It seems to be doing well. I picked it up today to feed it and the red underside of the starfish looked all ripped up and part of it even flew off into the water. He is still is moving around but I am worried about him.

Oh my gosh. I just bought it and I bought the exact food they were feeding him. Is there anything I can do.

We did that about 30 minutes ago. He just moved away from it and his underside looks worse. I am afraid he is not going to make it. Thanks for your help. Should I take him out? How do I know when he is gone?

That's a tuff call. Taking him out means killing him early. I'd guess if he doesn't respond to touching, he's gone. I guess I'd just keep an eye on him JUST in case our guesses are wrong.

that's a fromia starfish. they are another example of what to leave in the ocean. it won't survive. no one even knows what they eat. one thing for sure, they don't eat meaty foods.

That is crazy. How do the LFS's get away with selling these that can't survive. He cost us $35. But that isnt even the worst part. We all fell in love with him. He is still moving as of now.

well, i have seen "crown of thorns" starfish at the lfs too. these are starfish that only eat stony corals. that means you'll have to buy corals to feed the starfish. they are supposed to be killed on site because they destroy reefs.
meanwhile, stores are selling them.
some stores have a heart to an extent, and others just want to put food on the table at home, no matter the cost.

Back
Top Bottom