Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-02-2005, 10:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to nitrous Send a message via MSN to nitrous
marine ich

has any1 ever dealt or had marine ich before?

nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 11:04 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

knock on wood no,but if i had to i would do hypo treatment,what type of tank you have,a fo tank or a fish with inverts?

Old 12-02-2005, 11:19 PM   #3

Early on I battled it however, I beat it by raising temp. I now keep my tank at or around 84* and have not had an outbreak since... You will find many different ways people deal with it, none are exclusive to the other.. Hypo is very stressful IMO, and can make matters worse, then again, a lot of success stories are told of using it.. Copper treatment in QT has worked also. Would not use if fish is to be re-introduced to a reef system but hey, that is me.. The continous use of an UV light can reduce the chances of getting ICH however does nothing quick enough if ICH is already present and in full force..

By the look of your sig line, do you have a Marine tank? It looks to me you are Freshwater/Brackish...

In any case, you can get ICH in all tanks that have fish, so I hope what I said was helpful to someone...

Cheers
Old 12-02-2005, 11:33 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

i did the hypo thing and ended up with other isues but it did fix the ich i found copper worked better for me but make shure you have a tank to dedicate only to that.
Old 12-03-2005, 12:00 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I had fantastic successes with using Hypo on ich. I found it very easy on the fish (as easy as being in QT can be on a new fish). I've also had great results with adding garlic and selcon to their diet. As long as the environment is properly controlled I think hypo is gentle and effective. There are numerous threads in the sick fish forum on fish treated for ich.

If you have more specific questions please post so that we can help further!

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 12:07 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to nitrous Send a message via MSN to nitrous
okay noob question waht is hypo? and yes i have a brackish tank and i used to have 2 puffers they both died from marine ich and they had all the symptoms, decreased color, cotton like, eyes very covered with cotton like stuff and then they both died and the 1 tetra is still living but the other tetra got eaten by the puffers. so now i wanna do something else with the tank what do u guys suggest for my next step?
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 12:55 PM   #7
steve-s

Hyposalinity is a non medicated treatment that by far out performs any other treatment going for C. irritans. Aside from hobbyist remedies and the myths surrounding this parasite, there are only 3 100% effective and proven cures for this particular parasite; hyposalinity, copper (preferabley Cupramine) and the transfer method.

Please read these two link, especially the bottom section of the first article near the bottom about "myths".

http://www.petsforum.com/personal/tr...marineich.html

http://www.petsforum.com/personal/tr...osalinity.html

Cheers
Steve
Old 12-03-2005, 03:42 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have had a lot of success with Hypo and Copper. I still think the best solution is some Cleaner Shrimp or some Cleaner Wrasses.

125g~Zoanthid dominated~SPS~LPS~T. crocea~S. haddoni~2xSaddleback Clowns~Hippo, Kole, Achilles Tang~Leopard Wrasse~Flame Angel~Purple Firefish~Gobies~Chromis~3xCleaner Shrimp~2xHarlequin Shrimp~Pistol Shrimp
AquaReefer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ich, marine

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com