Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-10-2012, 02:03 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

I know lol... They're both effective ways, and both have pros and cons.

Old 12-10-2012, 04:16 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok so after reading into hypo in greater detail I no longer feel capable of pulling it off. Between the salinity and the ph it's too much. Way over my head. I'm running an ac110 with the sponges and bio balls so if I used copper would I have to replace all the media or could I just soak it all in boiling water and vinegar to remove the copper?
The other options I'm considering are Kordon Rid Ich Plus. It says its safe for saltwater fish, just not inverts. So I'd still have to use a QT. but it would be less complicated than cupramine. The active ingredients are formaldehyde and malachite green. Thoughts?
I also have access to Kordon 100% natural Ich Attack. It boasts that it's reef safe and can be used in DTs with inverts. I know the chances of it working well are slim, but could it do any harm to try? Because that would be a million times more convenient.

Old 12-10-2012, 05:34 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

personally I would only use cupramine, I've used it many times and its very effective. If the other stuff doesn't work you risk losing some fish.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:12 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benamayer View Post
I wasn't saying NOT to do copper, they're actually both a pain in the butt lol... With copper, you still need to keep an eye on levels using a copper test, with hypo you need to keep an eye on salinity. Hypo in itself does less physical damage and stress to the fish, but I agree is difficult. I was just stating my opinion, and I'm glad other people chimed in too, because that's how we learn to become better aquarists.
Oh, I wasn't saying that your suggestion was bad, she was just asking why a couple of us suggested copper over hypo; so I was saying why I suggested it. Hypo works too.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:44 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beengirl

Oh, I wasn't saying that your suggestion was bad, she was just asking why a couple of us suggested copper over hypo; so I was saying why I suggested it. Hypo works too.
I know.. Sorry for any miscommunication, I was certainly not trying to come across as defensive or abrasive 8-( I'm glad we were all able to give the OP some good suggestions, which is why we are here!
Old 12-10-2012, 06:46 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok. One more big problem. I think cupramine is the way to go, but I don't use rodi (I know, I know). I use tap water treated with prime. So I can't add cupramine. Fml. Helppppp.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:13 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

I believe the prime only stays in the water for 24 to 48 hours then it dissipates you can email seachem to make sure they're pretty good at getting back on questions
Old 12-11-2012, 03:03 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedogz View Post
I believe the prime only stays in the water for 24 to 48 hours then it dissipates you can email seachem to make sure they're pretty good at getting back on questions
can anyone confirm/deny this? or supply a link? no offence tonedogz, just want a second reassurance.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:00 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

not a problem thats why other people are hear

Tags
ich, marine

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com