Marine ich in reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darylb

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys anyone got any idea on how to treat marine ich in a reef tank I'm looking after my friends clown fish for a month and a half and it's now got ich I think it may be from my damsel harassing it I'm getting rid of it anyway

There are 2 effective ways to treat ich, both of which will require a QT tank. You will need to remove all the fish and put then in QT, and then treat then with a copper based medicine, or the other way is by hypo salinity. In order to completely eradicate it, your DT must be fallow for around 8 weeks, so all the ich will die off due to no host...

Thanks guys I don't have a QT tank and if I was to set one up would I be able to use the ceramic rings or bio foam out of my normal tank to instantly cycle the tank? I have corals so any filter media that comes out will stay out cos I don't want copper to kill my corals

Thanks guys I don't have a QT tank and if I was to set one up would I be able to use the ceramic rings or bio foam out of my normal tank to instantly cycle the tank? I have corals so any filter media that comes out will stay out cos I don't want copper to kill my corals

Yes, but keep in mind if you treat with copper to discard after using, as it will leech into your DT when/if put back...

Pretty sure petco is doing $1/gallon now... Good time to get one lol good luck Daryl!

I don't believe you need to QT corals, as ich will host fish only, plus if you are actually treating with hypo or copper this will kill the corals anyways. You can use lighting, yes.

Okay thanks :) your idea will probably work :) I need to find a big container for now I think the ich may have started on the clown because of my damsel he is a nasty bugger

Do you have any pics? I'd hate to see you do all this if it's not even Ich... I had an ich panic once and it wasn't even ich lol.

I've heard of people doing it in a 5 gallon bucket with a small power head. Not sure if I would go that way unless I had to, because you can not observe the fish as well. A big tupperware container could work i guess. its just got to be pretty bug. You do not need light. I normally keep the lights off and just go with the natural light in the room. For cycling, if you do not have anything from the DT you just need to watch parameters closely and be ready for water changes. Some people will keep a piece of sponge, or even a little filter, in their DT or sump and put that in QT when needed. That will contain some bacteria and help with nitrates.

Back
Top Bottom