Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-16-2004, 11:17 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Send a message via AIM to LoveLEE143
Marine ich question

I have been reading up on marine ich so I can prepare for it. As I have read ich can not stick to rock. So is it possible to take the fish and live rock out of the display tank and put them in another tank or Rubbermaid bin. Drain all of the water out of the main tank. Stir up the sand on the bottom. Then immediately add new water to the tank just to cover the bottom with no salt in it to kill the ich in the sand. Or add one of those products like Rx P or Kick Ich. Then fill the display tank back up with salt water. Then give the fish a freshwater dip or a dip in Rx P to get ride of the potential or real ich off the fish. Then return them to the tank. Would this work, just curious.

44 Gallon Pentagon l 3" Live Sand l 50lbs Live Rock l 96 watts Power Compact l Currently empty l

75gallon l Rena XP3 Filter l 80pds live sand l 30pds of Lace Rock l 40 watts Strip Fluorescent l 1 White Tail Trigger l 1 Titan Trigger l 2 Domino Damsels l 1 Yellow Damsel l 1 Blue Green Chromis l

135 Gallon l Currently buying filter and sand to start the cycle, so my Titan Trigger can have a home all to himself l
LoveLEE143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 11:36 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to MACATUA Send a message via MSN to MACATUA Send a message via Yahoo to MACATUA
First it would be pretty stressful to the fish to do that, second of you added something to the tank that may contain copper i toculd be very hard to get the copper out of the tank. ALso if it did not have copper, there is no real guarantee that the ich woul dbe removed from the sand. I see you have an anemone so I would be very careful with and addatives.

When I first started fish keeping I had tried every chemical and addative i could to try and cure a number of maladies, but what i found works best is patience. Anytime I have had any kind of sickness, if you keep an eye and keep stres levels low, a LOT of times a fish with a good immune system clears itself. I think we create more problems the more we try and treat a problem.

Anyway, just my thoughts, no real validity .

Woo Hoo, PAYDAY! Time to pay the LFS rent (even before I pay mine )

Join the Alabama Regional Forum!
MACATUA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 12:32 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Doubt if that would work, and like MACATUA stated, you never want to treat your main tank with meds, especially copper.
Much easier to qt new arrivals, or if it is already in your system, move the fish to a qt tank and treat them there. Leave the main fishless for 6 weeks, this will allow the parasite to go through its life cycle and die off.
Ich in its trophont stage can and does stick to substrate, rock etc. Wherever you read that, they are mistaken.
quarryshark is offline   Reply With Quote

ich, marine

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com