marine velvet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tiredfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
what in the world is marine velvet, and what does it look like? is there a site that has pics or something of different things like this so maybe if i got something i can identify it? thanx

http://www.aquariumconnection.com/getArticle.php?ArtID=17

Oodinium is another name for it. Looks like a fine sugar dusting on the fish's skin. You can really see it on their pec fins too. If you've got it, you gotta act fast. Hopefully there is a hospital tank big enuf for you inhabitants - considering there's coral and inverts in your tank. I've seen others mention Cupramine doses.

I lost 8 of 11 fish w/in two weeks time. Didn't know what velvet was and all were still eating. Thought I had fish playing in the sand - hence the coating. I treated with a product called Revive (coral and invert safe) twice within a week and maybe got lucky, but a yellow tang, watchman goby and a b/g chromis survived and are still doing great 5 months later. If you see it on the skin, it has already passed thru their gills. That's the SW velvet. In FW, it starts on the skin and then spreads to the gills, so there's more time to react, I believe.

Fluctuating water quality can be a huge culprit for an outbreak.

Anyway, good luck to you and keep us posted on your observations and success.

Back
Top Bottom