marine velvet? help!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jerejohnson

Aquarium Advice Activist
i just got a lion fish and he came down with marine velvet. i currently have him and all the other fish in a quaritine tank with copper, but it dosent seem to be helping he wont eat... i was just wondering if a fresh water dip would be better for him. please any help would be great. i have a clown and 2 tangs, are they at risk ? i was told that lion fish are the only ones affected with it?

If you are sure it is Amyloodinium, copper should be very effective. The loss of appetite is normal especially when using copper meds. What type/brand of copper are you using and are you monitoring the levels daily?

What are the exact symptoms?

As a rule, FW dips will also help with velvet and should fall from the fish in under two minutes. Just be very very sure the ph and temp of the FW match the current environment. If the fish becomes overly stressed, place it back in the QT immediately.

jerejohnson said:
i was told that lion fish are the only ones affected with it?
You were misinformed. All fish are at risk of catching it once an infected fish has entered the system and all fish should be treated accordingly. The main display should be left fallow for 4-6 weeks to allow the parasite to die off.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom