Mark on Blonde Naso Tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nycpassat

Aquarium Advice Regular
Appears to be a burn mark on the side of his body which just turned up today. I don't have a heater in the tank. It doesn't appear that it may have hit into a rock or anything since it doesn't appear to be an open wound. It is a little bit lethargic however he is still eating well. Anyone know about this and should I quarantine it?

My water parameters are:

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate:0
Phosphates: .1
SG: 1.021
Water Temp: 72F
150gallon FOWLR tank
Added Seachem Phosguard in a 6x10" media bag two days ago.

I've attached pics for reference. Thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

• side1_976.jpg
    side1_976.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 62
  • side2_177.jpg
    side2_177.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 65
  • side3_143.jpg
    side3_143.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 78
Have you recently added any corals? If so, maybe a 'sting' mark? (But that wouldn't explain the "fuzz" you're seeing now, I suppose.)

Hmmm...

I added some zooanthids, waited a week, then rearranged the rock they were on. I think I was a little rough with them as I could see some "stuff" wafting off of them. (I had gloves on, thankfully.)

A couple days after that episode, I noticed a dark spot near the tail of my O.Clown. I kind of looked like the spot on your tang. After researching, I decided it was probably just a reaction to some toxin off the zooanthid - either it went over and tried to host in it, or a blob of the "stuff" that it released found its way to the fish.

I watched it closely, and it eventually just faded away. Like your tank, my fish ate fine during that period, but did seem a little less active than normal. It never developed a "fuzz" though, but maybe the coloration of the fish just masked it, unlike your tang. I didn't do anything to treat my clown. I did feed it some garlic with it's mysis though a little more often than normal. Other than that, I did nothing.

Perhaps your tang got a little chemical "burn" from the new corals?

Back
Top Bottom