Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-12-2013, 04:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Maroon clown

My maroon clown doesn't look good and isn't swimming correctly. I don't have a qt tank and has white spots covering him. I don't have any reef friends that could take care of him and is swimming upside down and laying on ground. I live in nj and don't really have anyone to give him too
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3623835216.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	159.1 KB
ID:	207342   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4163971742.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	207343  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2989409695.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	207344  

Old 11-12-2013, 10:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I'm real sorry about your Clown but he's probably already gone... If it makes you feel any better, I just lost close to $2,500 in livestock in my 300 gal due to Ich & Marine Velvet cuz I didn't have a quarantine tank set up. Now I deffinately will! Search Craig's List for a 20 gal & dose all new fish with copper before adding them to community tank. Had someone told me this two years ago, I wouldn't have gone what you're dealing with! Good luck & keep at it!

Old 11-12-2013, 10:30 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Wow yeah I just lost him but i am terribly sorry for what happened to you. I know how it feels just losing one fish. And yes I have three more tanks just do not have the correct equipment to start it up. Did you lose all fish or corals also. And where do you live? I am very new in hobby and still have many problems with my 90
Old 11-13-2013, 11:11 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I live in San Antonio & have been in the hobby for a little over three years. 1st time I had Ich was July 2010 in a 125g tank & was able to safely quarantine them in a Hospital tank I set up using hyposalinity. I built my 300 gal from the ground up. New everything, sand, rock, Ect except for the two fish that survived. Since then I've been very careful what kind of fish I put in tank & am super cautious where I purchase them from. Haven't had any problems since 2010 but something did go wrong. The worst thing I did wrong was not quarantining fish, only acclimating them.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:34 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yeah I really wish I could find some one close to me that was in the hobby. I am struggling but have a 90 gallon tank up with a lot of algae problems. But yeah I am trying to get a qt tank up just need some for equipment. And yeah I hope this disease doesn't spread to my other fish in the tank
Old 11-14-2013, 06:49 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sorry about your clown. Do you have any other fish? Chances are they are affected as well and will need treatment. There are really cheap $40-$50 all in one aquarium kits you can buy and only use it as needed if you don't want a permanent QT set up. Good luck!
Old 11-14-2013, 07:35 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinaClown View Post
Sorry about your clown. Do you have any other fish? Chances are they are affected as well and will need treatment. There are really cheap $40-$50 all in one aquarium kits you can buy and only use it as needed if you don't want a permanent QT set up. Good luck!
+1. qt tanks only need to be basic setups, a hob filter, heater and a few pieces of pvc piping to hide in. also I wouldn't instantly treat every new fish you get with copper. although copper is a very effective treatment, its also pretty harsh. if you leave the new fish in qt for 3-4 weeks, youll see any diseases manifest before you add to the tank, at which point id treat.
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:56 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ok if I did set up a qt tank should I get a HOB from like petco or do you think they would sell them at my lfs. And should I keep the salinity and temp the same in the tank. I have a 10,20 long, and 30 gallon. Do you know which one I should use. I can also try the kits also just not sure what better option is.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:56 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

And I have an ocelaris, goby, two chromis, fire fish, cardinal fish, and lawnmower blenny.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:53 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

you can run a hob filter. any petco or petsmart will have them. as for size, depends on what you are going to be qting. if its a small fish or 2, the 10 would work. if you want a bit more size, use the 20

huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com