Maroon Clown with Damaged Fins!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MattP725

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just noticed today that my maroon clown has a split down his rear fin and one of his under ones looks slightly damaged too... I did notice that the Niger Trigger went after him once or twice but only in 2 second incriments. They are both in a 20g QT with a Puffer until my big tank fully cycles... Is it possible that something water condition wise ate at his fin or is it more likely the Trigger (although he seems to be cool with him most of the time). The other two look great BTW and I have a PH with a pre-filter, a std glass heater, and a HOB filter which isn't even very strong so there is really no place to get caught and loose some finage... Any ideas?

Curious about sustained water quality. How's it been with 3 fish in there and a HOB filter that isn't very strong? IMHO, that seems like a lot for a 20g. There is a chance that if you saw the trigger going afer him, that he may have also when you weren't looking and got some clown fin.

I have seen the clown be pretty content with 8ppm of ammonia in my last tank while the other two looked pretty poor in that environment... I am not saying it isn't possible but for the other two to look good and for the clown to be suffering would be surprising to me. I didn't do a water test yet but the filter is ok with 20g. There isn't anything in the tank other than the gravel and the fish and I feed them very lightly in this tank so filtration should be ok. I will do a water test to be positive though. Side note... the clown looks happy (swimming around and eating fine) and I would assume that poor water (atleast enough to eat fins) would make him a bit more incontent.

I would be pointing my finger at the trigger fish and water quality. If the trigger fish is going after the clown whilst you are watching there could be a lot happening when you are not watching. Those attacks cause stress which also has a really negative effect on the fish's general health and recovery capacity.

A 20g tank for three fish, especially of that size is in my opinion too much. The filtering is inadequate as well for my liking. Then again I am always very cautious with my marine aquarium -- it pays off though.

My money is on: trigger fish + stress + water quality.

The fin will heal if it's allowed to.. ie when it's not being nipped at anymore.

I hope you're doing daily water changes?

I posted on a dif thread the outcome: I moved them back to the 55 (20g was only a QT btw) when all the levels settled and I started treating the clown with MelaFix. Well within five minutes of treating her she died. Seriously it was right after I added the solution (and yes it was the correct amount). Everything else seemed fine but she was just pushed over the edge I guess. I think it was just fin rot because I never witnessed the Trigger act abnormally aggressive. As time went on some of her other fins didn't look so hot and she had one almost kinda clamped the day I started treatment. All signs of a bacterial infection.

Back
Top Bottom