Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-27-2005, 06:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Mass die off!!

I just killed all my fish. I used one of those green scrubbies from the grocery store "scotch" something or other to clean the glass and then I went out. 2 hours later I came home and all my fish are dead. The tank has been up and running for about 2 years with no problems till now. I have live rock ( with red slime on it ) and no corals. In my gravel is a pile of little bad worms. I am going to take this opportunity to redo everything. new gravel (mine is quite dirty) new water (of course) and eventually new fish. I took all my live rock out and it is in a bucket. can I kill the red slime by leaving it in a bucket for a week or so should I use fresh or salt water ( or any in the bucket) or should I just toss it and really start again???????

Thanks for the help.

stryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 07:13 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular
Chemicals in the scotch pad did your fish in. I'm not sure if you're asking what killed your fish or if you already knew. But it was the chemicals in the scotch pad.

maporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 07:22 PM   #3
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
Make sure you ask questions about things like that either here or your LFS. Those deaths could have been easily avoided. An experienced aquarist does not take chances with the lives of his tank.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 09:42 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Sorry to hear about your troubles. I have actually used those green pads in my tank for along time with no effects what so ever. I did notice that the Scotts scrubbie/sponge combo feel damp out of the package so I have not used them.

This is a good opportunity to start over. Look into using LS as a substrate rather then gravel or CC. For the rock, keep it n a bucket with SW, a powerhead, heater and air stone. You can scrub it off first with SW to get the cyno off. Your tank will need to cycle again so be prepared for that. Good luck!
Some people are like slinkies...they serve no real purpose yet can still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!:p
Have a great day! Brian
lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 07:32 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
What type of water are you using? Cyno comes from high phosphates have you tested for these? if your starting over and have been having cyno issues it may be a good time to use different water?
Sorry to hear about the fish
At one time or another we all have some issues with the tanks, Some bigger then others.
9/02-125 REEF, 125 lbs LR,LS 4x160 VHO, Reef Devil /Sump, Fuge
7/03-55 FOWLR 60lb LR, 50 lb SD sand 2x40 NO strip light, Reef Devil/sump, Fuge

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 10:41 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

[quote="lando"] You can scrub it off first with SW to get the cyno off.

Be sure and use a NEW plastic brush with no metal. I have a couple of'm dedicated to my tank.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 03:40 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak
The scotch brite pads I use around the house come in a pack of several and are dry (ie, no moisture or chemicals). They appear pretty inert.

I use one that's dedicated to scrub out the skimmer cup. No ill effects so far.

120 g FOWLR, Pro Clear 200 19 gal. sump (bio balls removed), 50# Walt Smith FiJi LR, 150# reefersrock base, 300# DSB, Iwaki MD 20 return, (2) Rio 600s, (2) Hagen 802s, Amiracle Quad II skimmer, (2) Coralife 4 X 65s, 2 Lebo moonlights, (2) 120 mm vent. fans,

(2) Perc. Clowns, (1) Yellow Tang, (1) cleaner shrimp, (2) Henis, pending: Foxace Lo, Flame Angel, blue legs, scarlets, 4 emerald crabs, nassarius snails, 50 mexican turbos, (1) good bankruptcy attorney when this hobby blows out of control!
spinman is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com