Mass die off!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stryder

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi,

I just killed all my fish. I used one of those green scrubbies from the grocery store "scotch" something or other to clean the glass and then I went out. 2 hours later I came home and all my fish are dead. The tank has been up and running for about 2 years with no problems till now. I have live rock ( with red slime on it ) and no corals. In my gravel is a pile of little bad worms. I am going to take this opportunity to redo everything. new gravel (mine is quite dirty) new water (of course) and eventually new fish. I took all my live rock out and it is in a bucket. can I kill the red slime by leaving it in a bucket for a week or so should I use fresh or salt water ( or any in the bucket) or should I just toss it and really start again???????

Thanks for the help.
S

Chemicals in the scotch pad did your fish in. I'm not sure if you're asking what killed your fish or if you already knew. But it was the chemicals in the scotch pad.

Make sure you ask questions about things like that either here or your LFS. Those deaths could have been easily avoided. An experienced aquarist does not take chances with the lives of his tank.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I have actually used those green pads in my tank for along time with no effects what so ever. I did notice that the Scotts scrubbie/sponge combo feel damp out of the package so I have not used them.

This is a good opportunity to start over. Look into using LS as a substrate rather then gravel or CC. For the rock, keep it n a bucket with SW, a powerhead, heater and air stone. You can scrub it off first with SW to get the cyno off. Your tank will need to cycle again so be prepared for that. Good luck!

What type of water are you using? Cyno comes from high phosphates have you tested for these? if your starting over and have been having cyno issues it may be a good time to use different water?
Sorry to hear about the fish:(
At one time or another we all have some issues with the tanks, Some bigger then others.

The scotch brite pads I use around the house come in a pack of several and are dry (ie, no moisture or chemicals). They appear pretty inert.

I use one that's dedicated to scrub out the skimmer cup. No ill effects so far.

Spin

Back
Top Bottom