Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-25-2005, 02:29 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Maybe ich? i can't tell. i need help

so I bought a long nose butterfly fish about 2 weeks ago now he looked pretty healthy execpt for one little spot on his tail on the very tip of it. i thought that he hurt it or something and that it was growing back and that is why it looked like that because his fins are all clear. Anyways so at first he wouldn't eat anything but live brine, people told me to get him some sponge and i did but he kind of picks at it but thats about it. He is now eating well: live brine, frozen mysis, frozen bloodworms, and i put some brown algae in there and he picks at that too actually. So today i was looking at him and it looks like the little spot on his tail is getting better but he has the same type of stuff on the back of him i don't think it is ich but it is so hard to tell. There is nothing on his body and maybe one little spot on his pectoral fins but that may be his coloration too. i don't think he is acting strange. I was thinking maybe it was fin and tail rot because all the spots tend to be at the end of his fins or on the end of his tail but i don't know.(i have never had fin and tail rot in either fresh or salt and i haven't found a very good pic that i can say that is defiantly what it looks like) they are white spots but not tiny tiny dot spots and they aren't really round i would say they are oblong. so i don't know what to do for him. if he has ick wouldn't it be covering more of him? he is in QT so if i need to treat him it shouldn't be hard. If it is ich i am worried because i am leaving on vacation (on wed and my boyfriend will be taking care of them he knows what he is doing more then me but he is leaving in 9 days when a good friend of the family will be taking care of them for 4 days and i don't want to make it hard for her because she is only semi experienced) so i was thinking about using cupramine (if it is anything) because we have some but how hardy are longnose butterfly fish with cupramine? (i also have para guard and meta fix) or am i just being paranoid because he is sitting in QT and i can see him really well and i am looking at every little thing and maybe this is nothing because all his fins are clear and any little tear or anything shows up on them? any help please

oceandelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 08:34 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
A pic would be helpful. Could be a number of things........
Ich spots will come and go and come back in bigger numbers. Ich spots are for the most part round.
I would wait and watch. Sounds like you have meds ready and in a qt tank.

quarryshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 05:17 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
by long nose butterflyfish do you mean the all yellow fish with a black and white face and a false eye spot that is black near its rear. several fish go by this common name, one is a recommended species to keep, others are not recommended. like kurt said a pic would be a real help. ich, velvet and several other maladies look similar and are tough to diagnoise without a pic.
Want a great read check out my debut novel Neptune's Garden: www.neptunesgardenbook.com
macman7010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com