Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-27-2005, 09:45 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Our water parameters are:

Nitrates: 0
Nitrites: 0
PH: 8.2
Ammonia: .25

The tangs, we also have a sailfin and a naso, are eating algae strips, fresh caulerpa from the lfs and mysis shrimp.

Old 04-28-2005, 11:31 AM   #12
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole
Our water parameters are:

Nitrates: 0
Nitrites: 0
PH: 8.2
Ammonia: .25
The ammonia reading is most likely a false possitive but I would get it double checked to be safe. Are you using a Nessler or Salicylate based test kit?

In any event, you will still need the water changes even if these numbers where all zero's. DOC is where the nitrogen cycle begins. Having zero numbers does not mean they aren't there, simpley the biofilter is keeping up with them. Reducing the DOC will help the fish fight any potential bacterial issues without the need for meds in most cases.

Quote:
The tangs, we also have a sailfin and a naso, are eating algae strips, fresh caulerpa from the lfs and mysis shrimp.
Tangs are hebavors and while they may get some nutrition from mysis, it's best to soak it in a good liquid marine vitamin before feeding. Selcon or Zoecon would be good choices. Also be sure it is the least used item and not a regular dietary addition. The "algae strips" are good depending on manufaturer but I would nix the caulerpa unless you know the species. With live macro algaes, you want to feed only non caulerpa species. I would instead suggest broccoli, spinach, peas, corn and/or carrots. Terrestrial veggies with a high vitamin content are just as good as if it where getting the "real deal". Just be sure not to use leafy lettuces, they are mostly water.

How big is the tank and have you seen much aggression between the tangs?

Cheers
Steve
Old 04-28-2005, 11:09 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

We are using the saltwater master test kit made by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals, Inc. I checked the box and it did not say if it was Nessler or Salicylate based. (Sorry, still a beginner!)

Since our tank is still pretty new (about 3 months). It is a 125 gallon and the tangs get along great (much better than expected, but the regal tang gets defensive when it comes to food.

When we feed the fresh veggies, should they be soaked in the vitamin also?
Old 04-29-2005, 11:22 AM   #14
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole
We are using the saltwater master test kit made by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals, Inc. I checked the box and it did not say if it was Nessler or Salicylate based. (Sorry, still a beginner!)
No worries, I was just trying to figure out what type of test kit as it can lead to errors. A SW test kit should be salicylate for testing ammonia. It should indicate somewhere that it is meant for testing NH3.

Quote:
When we feed the fresh veggies, should they be soaked in the vitamin also?
You can occassionally but it' not necessary each time. The main thing to be sure of is to break down the fibers of the vegetable so the fish can digest it better. Hard veggies (broccoli, carrots etc..) should be frozen for a few days. Less sturdy items like spinach should only be frozen over night as they will fall apart if left too long. Basically your just tring to soften it up and make it easier to eat and digest.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
ick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com