Maybe Ick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nicole

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a blue regal tang with a white spot about the size of a small button. Small white spots have recently started to form around it. He is still eating fine. Could it be ick? :?:

Can you post a pic? It sounds more like an infection of some type, could be coupled with C. irritans but a pic would help.

Cheers
Steve

I tried to get a pic, but its just not showing up. Sorry!

But the spot now appears to be spreading. There is now a larger white spot next to the old white spot. It looks like it taking over his belly. Its probably now best described as a splotchy white discoloration.

Pic#1
dory.jpg

Pic#2
juraqua1.jpg

Pic#3
5265_6.jpg

Pic#4 (except whiter and cottony)
Ulcer1.jpg

Please choose one that looks the closest (or combination)

Cheers
Steve

Its probably closest to the first pic, but the spots are more defined. And there is no sign of spotting on the face.

Thanks Steve!

regal tang pic

Steve,

This isnt a great pic, and its not really showing up properly, but it will give you an idea of the white spots on my regal tang. Thanks again for all of your help.

Maybe the pic will show up this time???

Lets try this again!

Attachments

• p4260004.jpg
    p4260004.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 256
  • p4260004.jpg
    p4260004.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 185
  • p4260004.jpg
    p4260004.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 262
Are you refering to the part I circled below? Also just to be safe here, no resemblance to pic #2 at all?

Cheers
Steve

Attachments

• p4260004_213.jpg
    p4260004_213.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 80
Yes, the part you circled. Like I said, the spots really dont show up in the photo. And that was the best picture out of the bunch. I apologize!

There is really no resemblance to the second picture, except for the discoloration at the bottom of the fish. It looks like more of a discoloration in the actual skin, rather than a powdery substance. The spots are also much larger than the second picture.

Color loss and/or bacterial infection most likely, could even be a simple abrassion. All easily fixed for the most part. First you need to get some SW mixing for water changes. Mix well with a powerhead and heater for 24 hrs. You will need to do about 3x20% water changes over the next week. This will reduce any DOC in the water that might be feeding potentially harmful bacteria. You need to keep up with at least weekly water changes after that to keep it in check. Always used well aged/aerated SW though. What are your water parameters?

Next step is feeding. What does the tang and the rest of the tank get on a regular basis?

Cheers
Steve

Our water parameters are:

Nitrates: 0
Nitrites: 0
PH: 8.2
Ammonia: .25

The tangs, we also have a sailfin and a naso, are eating algae strips, fresh caulerpa from the lfs and mysis shrimp.

nicole said:
Our water parameters are:

Nitrates: 0
Nitrites: 0
PH: 8.2
Ammonia: .25
The ammonia reading is most likely a false possitive but I would get it double checked to be safe. Are you using a Nessler or Salicylate based test kit?

In any event, you will still need the water changes even if these numbers where all zero's. DOC is where the nitrogen cycle begins. Having zero numbers does not mean they aren't there, simpley the biofilter is keeping up with them. Reducing the DOC will help the fish fight any potential bacterial issues without the need for meds in most cases.

The tangs, we also have a sailfin and a naso, are eating algae strips, fresh caulerpa from the lfs and mysis shrimp.
Tangs are hebavors and while they may get some nutrition from mysis, it's best to soak it in a good liquid marine vitamin before feeding. Selcon or Zoecon would be good choices. Also be sure it is the least used item and not a regular dietary addition. The "algae strips" are good depending on manufaturer but I would nix the caulerpa unless you know the species. With live macro algaes, you want to feed only non caulerpa species. I would instead suggest broccoli, spinach, peas, corn and/or carrots. Terrestrial veggies with a high vitamin content are just as good as if it where getting the "real deal". Just be sure not to use leafy lettuces, they are mostly water.

How big is the tank and have you seen much aggression between the tangs?

Cheers
Steve

We are using the saltwater master test kit made by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals, Inc. I checked the box and it did not say if it was Nessler or Salicylate based. (Sorry, still a beginner!)

Since our tank is still pretty new (about 3 months). It is a 125 gallon and the tangs get along great (much better than expected, but the regal tang gets defensive when it comes to food.

When we feed the fresh veggies, should they be soaked in the vitamin also?

nicole said:
We are using the saltwater master test kit made by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals, Inc. I checked the box and it did not say if it was Nessler or Salicylate based. (Sorry, still a beginner!)
No worries, I was just trying to figure out what type of test kit as it can lead to errors. A SW test kit should be salicylate for testing ammonia. It should indicate somewhere that it is meant for testing NH3.

When we feed the fresh veggies, should they be soaked in the vitamin also?
You can occassionally but it' not necessary each time. The main thing to be sure of is to break down the fibers of the vegetable so the fish can digest it better. Hard veggies (broccoli, carrots etc..) should be frozen for a few days. Less sturdy items like spinach should only be frozen over night as they will fall apart if left too long. Basically your just tring to soften it up and make it easier to eat and digest.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom