Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-07-2004, 11:34 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Maybe I'm just paranoid

Introduced my Royal Gramma into my main last night after a 4 week + qt period. I got up this morning and check on her. I noticed a few very small whitish dots just on her face. Didn't look like ich, maybe anatomical.
Didn't notice this in the qt ever, just in the better lighting of the main. Also noticed one on her pectoral fin. That may have been debris.
Anyone with Grammas ever notice this on the face of theirs? Just trying to determine if its normal.
I may sound paranoid, but after a bout with velvet earlier this year. I take no chances.
Would you remove her back? I hate to keep stressing her out, but like I said do not want to take any chances.
Thanks in advance. I will try to get a pic tonight.

Old 04-07-2004, 12:30 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I notice the same thing on my Gramma from time to time but they only appear on the face. I think it is a mixture of anatomy, lighting, and micro bubbles getting attached to the fish.

I wouldn't worry about it...

Old 04-07-2004, 12:53 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks, I appreciate that. I really don't want to move her again unless its necessary.
Old 04-07-2004, 02:20 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
This happens all the time to my clowns..was getting real upset the first few times as I just knew it was ick...after about 8-10 of this, I realized it was micro bubbles and or debris....Mainly when they stay at the top of the tank for any length of time (especially at night as this is where they sleep if fish sleep). By mid morning the spots are gone....
Old 04-07-2004, 02:59 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Might be sand. I watched my strawberry gramma burrow in the sand and bring up a mouth ful of sand and spit it out.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 03:34 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, I turned the tank light on this AM (imo, the best time to see any parasitic problems) and she was sleeping on top of a rock, pretty clean area. Doubt it was sand.
I watched her for a good 10 minutes, as she swam around. Got a good look, she is not shy. Its probably nothing. Just don't want to go through another round of catching and removing everyone.
I just want to enjoy my aquarium .....finally
I'll check her again tonight and tomorrow AM. if it is something, I want to get her out before it goes further.
Old 04-07-2004, 05:11 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

I noticed the same thing on monday morn, was freaking all day (thought it was ICH) when I got home, everything was fine. I was told the white spots could also be from the temp in the tank being to high (80 or above).

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com