Maze coral bleaching...help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rickvn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi. I am worried that my maze coral is not happy. I have had it for about 6 - 8 weeks. It appears to have started bleaching around some of the edges. This started about 2 a week or 10 days ago. My initial reaction is that my lighting is not strong enough. Yesterday I moved the coral to a position about one third from the top of the tank. Previously it was on the bottom. Reading other threads I know that maze corals do not need heavy lighting but I know mine is not very powerful which is why I have moved the coral higher. In the past after lights-out I have observed short feeder tentacles but recently I have not seen this behavior. Have I done the right thing moving it higher or should I have moved it into a shaded area?

All other corals seem to be doing just fine. I feed them rotifers (live) about twice a week and coral food about once a week. I target feed where possible.

Other info that might help:
Tank temp : 25C Sg 1.025. pH 8.1 Nitrates and Ph near 0. Alk 9.6 Ca 425 Mg 1250 Sr 10. Lighting is 2X35Watt T5's with reflectors.. Highlite Marine white and Blue actinic.

Thanks to anyone who has any ideas.

I thought I had attached a photo. Trying again.

Attachments

• IMGP0103.jpg
    IMGP0103.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 153
I would guess it`s your lighting. I`m guessing thats a 180 liter tank. You need a 4 or 6 bulb T5HO system.

Agree with Mike. It *might* do better up higher where you moved it to, but I'm not familiar enough with T5s to really judge. 2 bulbs don't seem like much though.

Just as reference, I have kind of the same type of coral - mid way up in a 46g (~175 liter) tank under 2x 96W of power compact fluorescent lighting. It used to send out sweepers from along the edges also, but it has long stopped doing that. But it is still healthy and growing nicely. I used to feed it once weekly some ground up zooplankton (Two Little Fishies brand), but lately have gotten lazy and only do it about once every couple of weeks. And it's STILL growing well. So I'm thinking the supplemental feeding is appreciated, but definitely not necessary.

Thanks for your advice guys. I will consider building a new canopy which can incorporate a few more bars.

I do however have to say I find it all rather confusing. Firstly my LFS said Maze would be fine given my lighting and recommended putting it on the bottom. Secondly I refer you to a post about Maze by Picollo on 03-23-2009 where he's advised to put him under a rock overhang in the hade. Admittidly he's got 4X36watts where I have 2X45 but mine was in direct light at the bottom...not shaded at all. It just seems contradictory......I'm just confused...not being critical of anyone's advise.

Thanks.

I do however have to say I find it all rather confusing. Firstly my LFS said Maze would be fine given my lighting and recommended putting it on the bottom.

It wouldn't be the first time a LFS gave bad advice.

Secondly I refer you to a post about Maze by Picollo on 03-23-2009 where he's advised to put him under a rock overhang in the hade. Admittidly he's got 4X36watts where I have 2X45 but mine was in direct light at the bottom...not shaded at all. It just seems contradictory......I'm just confused...not being critical of anyone's advise.

I looked at Picollo's post, and you're comparing apples and oranges. You have a 55 gallon tank with 2x 45W. Picollo had a 29g tank with 4x 36W. Depth of tank makes a big difference. In addition, different people have different opinions. In my opinion, I wouldn't have put it under an overhang in Picollo's case. But that's just my opinion.

Thanks for responding guys. That link was very informative Mike. It is making a bit more sense now. As a beginner I do get a bit overwhelmed 'cos you find such different advise depending on the source. I get your point about comparing like with like Kurt...Picollo's system has a much smaller water volume. For now I will just have to hope that moving it to the top of my reef will save it. I don't know if it is wishful thinking but it looked tonight like the white bleached areas had the slightest green tint to them so if I'm right they might have recovered a tiny bit. Time will tell I guess. In the longer term I might look at building a canopy that can take 2 more of the same tubes.

Thanks again.

Yor can also save money by doing retrofits. I have VHO`s and just put a reflective dome on top. Much cheaper and I like the look of it. Here is my set up

100_1670.jpg

Thanks Mike. I do use reflectors already. What I might do as a future project is build a frame from plywood that will sit on the rim at the top of the tank. This is where the Juwel lid (flap set) currently rests and the light bar hangs). Then I'll build a rim to hold the existing flap set and bar. By raising it a few inches it means I can get that all above the pipework for my skimmer and that means I can move the lightbar further back allowing me to install a second light bar of the same type in the front half. Both the rear and front flaps will just need to be cut narrower and in place of the individual reflectors I currently use, I will make the entirt interior of the canopy relfective. I think I'll end up with space to double my lighting by doing this modification.

Back to the coral, do you think I should try cutting away the bleached ares? I've never done anything like that before. If ti is something I should try, would you recommend I nibble it away with a sidecutter for example? The rock below it seems pretty crumbly so I think it would be possible.

Many thanks to you guys for your input.

I would see how the new lighting does first. The bleached area can make a comeback.

Back
Top Bottom