medicine to treat ick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skept

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi. i have a sw tank and my psuedochromi (sp?) has developed ick. the tank contains two other fish (clown and puffer) and several inverts (snails, starfish). the problem is that the ick medicine i purchased, called pimafix, said that it was safe for inverts and it is definitely not. after i put the medicine in the snails just started dropping like flies. i noticed one day that when i put the medicine in two snails attached to the glass dropped off onto their backs and all the snails feet cringe up like they are trying to hide. what are some suggestions for medicine to use or other solutions to the problem? i should also add that this is an established tank and the snails had been living in it fine for months (almost a year i think) before i put the medicine in.

Really there are only two tried and true proven methods to get rid of ich.

Cupramine (Copper based Medicine) It has worked for many, many hobbiest. It needs to be used in conjunction with a copper test. Too much copper and your fish will die, not enough and the ich will survive. So testing is a must to get the right level of copper.

You could also do a hypo treatment and lower the salt. The following is an article on hypo treatment:
http://www.petsforum.com/personal/trevor-jones/hyposalinity.html

Both of these treatments will require you to quarantine all your fish to as big a tank as you can get. The cupramine will rid the fish of ich in about 2 weeks, but the main tank will need to remain fishless for a period of 4 to 6 weeks. 6 weeks in all reality IMO.

The following is an article on quarantine tanks and how to set them up:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=17

How many fish do you have?

Back
Top Bottom