Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-02-2005, 08:59 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
medicine to treat ick

hi. i have a sw tank and my psuedochromi (sp?) has developed ick. the tank contains two other fish (clown and puffer) and several inverts (snails, starfish). the problem is that the ick medicine i purchased, called pimafix, said that it was safe for inverts and it is definitely not. after i put the medicine in the snails just started dropping like flies. i noticed one day that when i put the medicine in two snails attached to the glass dropped off onto their backs and all the snails feet cringe up like they are trying to hide. what are some suggestions for medicine to use or other solutions to the problem? i should also add that this is an established tank and the snails had been living in it fine for months (almost a year i think) before i put the medicine in.

skept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 09:12 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Really there are only two tried and true proven methods to get rid of ich.

Cupramine (Copper based Medicine) It has worked for many, many hobbiest. It needs to be used in conjunction with a copper test. Too much copper and your fish will die, not enough and the ich will survive. So testing is a must to get the right level of copper.

You could also do a hypo treatment and lower the salt. The following is an article on hypo treatment:

Both of these treatments will require you to quarantine all your fish to as big a tank as you can get. The cupramine will rid the fish of ich in about 2 weeks, but the main tank will need to remain fishless for a period of 4 to 6 weeks. 6 weeks in all reality IMO.

The following is an article on quarantine tanks and how to set them up:

How many fish do you have?
Remember to Keep Christ First!
revhtree is offline   Reply With Quote

eat, ick, medicine

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com