Melafix ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phyl

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is there any reason why I couldn't put Melafix in a tank with an eel? He's not the problem child, but I didn't want to harm one occupant curing another... Is there something better than melafix? He's already getting garlic and selcon. He still needs some help.

Thanks!

Well I was too afraid of hurting the eel to do the Melafix in the display so I moved the little critter into the stock tank for his safety. It is a PBT that got stabbed by a YT in a turf war. I think he's probably happier in the stock tank anyway so hopefully he'll heal well in there. I melafix'd him before I put him into the stock tank and didn't dose the stock tank (it is filled with corals from LPS to SPS). Is there any harm in Melafix'ing that water? Will the corals care?

I would not melafix the display tank.

As far as the eel is concerned, when I got my jewel moray, he had been totally shredded by a green moray and I treated with just melafix and it didnt harm him any.

just as a side note..Melafix will make a protein skimmer go absolutely nuts, so if you do a tank with a skimmer, be sure to shut it off.

I've already had that experience with Melafix from the last time I used it, lol. What a mess it made of my living room! I can't even believe that I can laugh now... That bottle should come with some sort of warning!

FWIW, a buddy of mine had success using Melafix in his 180 reef. He claimed it didn't bother the corals at all, however, as mentioned above, it made his skimmer go nuts.

Back
Top Bottom