Melafix for Fungus on Clown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djmpj2

Aquarium Advice Freak
I wrote about 2 weeks ago after finding a small white fuzzy on my clown fish. We bought everything for a QT for itch but didn't put him in. We were waiting to determine if it was actually itch. (see this post for details: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=41662&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Well, everything remains the same as the first day I wrote. The fuzzy is still there and the clown is still fine, eating like mad and no flashing.

Today I went to the LFS and was telling one of the guys there about it. He thinks (and I tend to agree) it is a fungus. He showed me another fish they have there in QT with it and it does look the same. He suggested Melafix. Now, he said to do it right in the main tank.

I bought the stuff but I was researching it here before using. From what I read, sounds like I should treat in my QT tank, not the main tank. Mostly, it sounds like it will really mess up my Protein skimmer. Would you agree?

My main question (sorry for the long post)... how long will I be QT this clown? The Melafix says treat daily for 7 days. Sound right? Second, should I move his partner (other clown) in with him. The 2nd clown shows no sign of fungus, but they are inseparable. Will it be stressful to both to separate for a week?

TIA

DJ

Before you decide to add anything to the tank, please post the water parameters and feeding regime.

If a true fungus, it will require a gram negative antibiotic (performed in a QT) but lets try some easier steps first. The second clown will not normally need treating unless also affected which it rarely will be.

Cheers
Steve

Water parameters are ammonia: 0, PH 8.3, Nitrite: 0 , Nitrates: 10, temp 80F, Salinity: 1.022.

We feed flake food in the am and frozen shrimp (mysis or brine) in the pm.

What is a a gram negative antibiotic? I can't use Melafix?

DJ

I don't want to hijack the thread, but I have a true perc with a very similar affliction and pretty much the same additional info with regard to water params, and feeding. Not sure if what's on mine I would say is fuzzy mind you. I might use the word bubbly, very small little bubbles or bumps. On his white sections the bumps are still white but on his side it is discolored kind of dark orange or brownish.

I assume you don't want us to dose the main tank? Do we have to QT the sickos?

djmpj2 said:
Water parameters are ammonia: 0, PH 8.3, Nitrite: 0 , Nitrates: 10, temp 80F, Salinity: 1.022.

We feed flake food in the am and frozen shrimp (mysis or brine) in the pm.
First thing is to try and get those nitrates down some with a few good sized water changes using well aged/aerated SW. By reducing the DOC/nutrient, you help starve the bacteria feeding the problem.

As far as feeding, you need to reduce that to once a day or every second day. Fish do not need feeding twice daily or even daily for that matter. Also be sure the foods you feed have the proper nutrition the fish needs to promote a healthy immune system. Flake and mysis can be okay but brine won't be unless gut loaded or fortified. I would be sure to start adding some type of vitamin to the mix and possibley making your own foods.

Increasing foods nutritional values and reducing nutrient within the water column are often all that is needed for minor problems.Unless a true fungal infection, then it will require treatment but it's best to start with what I've mentioned above. It is not life threatening as a rule so you have time to try this first.

What is a a gram negative antibiotic? I can't use Melafix?
I wouldn't personally bother with the Melafix. It can help with preventing wounds from becoming worse but typically not good choices in terms of a cure. It won't hurt anything (primarily tea tree oil) if you do decide to add it to the system but fair warning, it tends to make a mess. Any external equipment will become coated and work less efficiently, the skimmer will need to be turned off, all carbon/resin products removed and you will be a few weeks getting rid of it after treatment is done.

Bacterial infections are either gram positive or gram negative in nature. When it comes to SW, 99.99% will be gram negative in so you need to be sure if treatment is needed, you have the right medication to do the job.

Maracyn II at double the recommended dosage added daily for 7 days or Furacyn (nitrofurazone) used as a single dose of 30mg/gal and left for 3-5 days total. If after a week or so you do not see a reduction in the size of the affected area, you should consider treatment. Hopefully you already have a the QT equip needed and are cycling to be on the safe side.

Cheers
Steve

methuse said:
On his white sections the bumps are still white but on his side it is discolored kind of dark orange or brownish.
Could be bacterial or more likely Lymphocystis if "warty" in appearance. I would try what I suggested in the first part of the reply above.. In both cases, that should alleviate the problem.

I assume you don't want us to dose the main tank? Do we have to QT the sickos?
Treatment should never be done in the main tank for any reason. In regards to these problems discussed here, the fish do not typically need to be QT'd unless being harassed by tankmates or needing treatment. If the problem turns out to be Lymphocystis, there is no treatment. Only through a healthy diet, stress free environment and pristine water conditions will it heal. It's one of those "you have to help the fish help itself" problems. Beta Glucan would also be a great help in that regard.

Cheers
Steve

Just a correction to my post above.. nitrates are zero. That was typo.

I will start feeding just once a day and see if that helps.

We have been doing 10% water changes about once a week with store bought salt water.

Thanks for all your help.

DJ

Back
Top Bottom