Melting Gonopora

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wendy8184

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought a bluish gonopora from a lfs and at the time it wasnt open.... it didnt cost that much so i thought i would give it a chance. It hasnt opened fully since i bought it and last nite i noticed that it appears to be melting around the edges. I cant think of a better way to describe it. My question is... will it foul my 38g tank? I had a turbo snail die and waited a couple of days to remove it and my nitrates shot up to 40. Will this deteriorating coral do the same thing?:hide:

They are not the most hardiest of corals. If it goes bad you will be able to tell and then yes you will need to get rid of it before it fouls up the tank.

thank you for the advice... one more thing...should i just pull it out and throw away now? The edges are slimy:(

okay... i pulled it. It was deteriorating FAST! But i smelled it and it doesnt smell bad. But the decaying part has doubled from last nite. For some reason my conscience feels bad about pulling it out while part of it is still alive. I know it sounds stupid.

Btw... when i pulled it "fleshy" stuff went everywhere in the water. I had to get a net and scoop it out.

When I had the brown jelly disease on my torch coral and had to break off heads to discard it felt bad till I remembered that this was for the welfare of the whole tank.

Back
Top Bottom