Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-18-2010, 04:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Messed up and got a wild maroon clownfish

I acclimated the fish for 3 hours and placed him in my 75 gallon tank. Initially everything looked ok. The next morning I found ich all over him. I do not have quarantine tank nor do I have the money to buy any tank right now. Currently I only have two damsels in the tank. Can I medicate him without having to use a quarantine tank. I read the warning signs with wild maroon clownfish and still got one. He looked fine at the pet store. All of my water parameters and salinity are at correct levels. Please need help!!

Old 05-18-2010, 04:52 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ich on my new maroon clownfish.

I acclimated the fish for 3 hours and placed him in my 75 gallon tank. Initially everything looked ok. The next morning I found ich all over him. I do not have quarantine tank nor do I have the money to buy any tank right now. Currently I only have two damsels in the tank. Can I medicate him without having to use a quarantine tank. I read the warning signs with wild maroon clownfish and still got one. He looked fine at the pet store. All of my water parameters and salinity are at correct levels. I have a 75 gallon fowlr tank setup. Please need help!!

Old 05-18-2010, 04:59 PM   #3
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
The only med that will kill ich is copper. If you use copper, your tank can not have any live rock in it or any sand in it.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 05:09 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You can get a 10g tank for around $12 at walmart. Or you could get a plastic bucket + some ich treatment. Id put him in a bucket and then use some copper based medicine.

Matt
Old 05-18-2010, 06:09 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

you can medicate your tank. get some marine max it is the best stuff every non copper based. i used it on my tank when i got my humu humu. he is wild to. so just get that and med your tank as directed
Old 05-18-2010, 06:31 PM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

IME those medications do not work. Never seen any of them do anything. The only two I have seen work are copper and hypo. Both of them need to be done in a QT.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:17 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58 View Post
IME those medications do not work. Never seen any of them do anything. The only two I have seen work are copper and hypo. Both of them need to be done in a QT.
As long as he doesn't have any corals or inverts in his tank, he can do hypo right in the DT can't he?

-Chuck
Krypt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:24 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccCapt View Post
The only med that will kill ich is copper. If you use copper, your tank can not have any live rock in it or any sand in it.
Actually, Chloroquine will kill Amlyoodinium, Cryptocaryon, and Turbellarians. The trouble with hyposalinity, from I've heard, is that Velvet seems to spread much more quickly. Double-edged swords these beasties are, getting more difficult to kill even with medications.
Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:50 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Doubt its ich. He may of had a dive in the sand or something. Before you treat for Ich, Make sure it is it.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:42 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for the responses. Update on my maroon

When I came home from work, I noticed the spots were gone and he was swimming around the tank. I am thinking it could have been sand or I was just seeing things. He has been fine the last couple of days. I have noticed he does go after the food when I put in but he always "spits" it out. I am not sure if hes eating .

Tags
clown, clownfish, maroon clown, maroon clownfish, wild

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com