Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-31-2011, 09:59 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Midas Blenny

I purchased a midas blenny about 3 weeks ago. He has been in a QT tank since I got him. At the LFS he was swimming around the tank and eating, I drip acclimated him for a little over 2 hours before I put him in QT. He didnt really move for about 2 days and would not eat anything. Eventually he began eating and swimming occasionally, but after I did my last water change he seems stressed again and is not eating or moving from under his rock. He looks sick, he is breathing heavy and looking lethargic. All of my paramaters are good. I am wondering if Midas blennies tend to be shy or do you think I might have stressed him when I was working in the tank. What do you guys think??

Amm. 0
Nitrate 5
Nitrite 0
ph 8.2
temp 76
Salinity 1.023

Old 07-31-2011, 10:08 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Hi there. Did you match the water when you did the pwc for temp and salintiy? Maybe that has something to do with it. Just a thought, as that's the only thing I can think of.

I don't have a midas blenny but from what I heard they are very active and social fish so something must be bugging him. How big is your qt? Is ther anything else in the qt with him?

Old 07-31-2011, 08:40 PM   #3

Yes, I matched the temp and salinity, its a 10g tank, there is no other livestock, just a few larger pieces of rock rubble and some PVC pipe. He is still just hanging out in his corner panting. Hopefully he shows some improvement tomorrow. I am not sure what else to do.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:21 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hows the gas exchange in the QT is there enough water movement do you test the water every other day trAtes can build up fast

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:36 PM   #5

Well he is still hanging in there, but not much has changed. I have an air stone in there now, do you think thats enough? I test my water every other day and do 20% pwc once a week.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:56 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

is it a full grown midas? maybe its stressed out just cuz its in a small tank, either way if you don't see any signs of sickness why not add him to your main display tank and see how he reacts, he might become more active.

they also tend to be perching fish, so they like to sit on a rock and relax, they are not always swimming
Old 08-01-2011, 06:14 PM   #7

He is about 4 inches. The thought crossed my mind to add him to the DT, he doesnt have any obvious signs of illness, just the lethargy at the bottom of the tank and lack of eating. He also has the blotchy brown stress spots. My only concern is that if he is sick and not just stressed, then I would be transferring that illness into my tank. On the other hand I dont want to kill him from being stressed in a tank too small. What do you guys think. Should I move him over??
Old 08-03-2011, 07:50 AM   #8

So I decided that I should try moving him into the DT, but in my effort to get him out of QT I noticed a wound on his side right under his fin. I now know that this is why he is stressed and not swimming. It is hard to say how severe it is, but it looks like it has already started to heal. There is a hunk of tissue hanging out of his side. Is there anything I can do? I tried to target feed him and he eats a tiny bit. I also moved all of the rock out of the way so he doesnt get hung up on anything since he cant swim well. I was thinking is there some sort of antibiotics that I could use to help with the healing?
Old 08-03-2011, 09:25 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Hmm very good question. I know you can use melafix on fw but not sure on sw.

Maybe some one else can chime in?
Old 08-03-2011, 11:17 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes you can use Melafix in SW my LFS use's it all the time swears by it

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blenny

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com