Mini ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Animal-Chin

Aquarium Advice Addict
So something strange is going on. A bout a month ago I increased my lights from T5's to LED and started dosing Cal & Alk 2 part. A few weeks later My lionfish seemed to get ich. About 10 white spots on his skin and he's acting lathargic. The rest of the fish are fine though. Then a week later my foxface gets 2 spots, my clown 1 spot, my cardinal 2 on his back fin and my wrasse nothing. Is this ich? Can fish get it but only get one spot or 2? The fish are all looking and acting normal. Normal eating and swimming behavour and other than the lionfish the other fish don't have spots anymore.

Is there any other reason a fish can get a spot or 2?

I have a 150g tank that has a flame angel, blue tang, 2 clown fish, 2 damsels and a flasher wrasse and every once in a while the blue tang will get a spot or two...i leave them alone because i have never had good luck with treating ich. The fish in my tank are fat and healthy and after a few days or even the next day the spots are gone. It may not be ich but according to my lfs it is present in your tank all the time. Anyway, I used to get all twisted about it but now i just let it go. All my fish in my tank are going on 1 yr. Maybe it's not ich at all, but keeping my fingers crossed. Lately for me that seems like the best technique for success.:whistle:

Healthy fish can get Ich and only have a few spots and basically get over it. It's still there, just may not present itself. If the fish stay healthy, I'm not sure I would worry much.

I kinda disagree that its always present. If you start with a clean tank, QT your fish and treat when something shows up prior to adding it to your DT, I don't understand how it gets in there.

I don't really get that theory either... but that's what he tells me. But he did sell me a UV filter to try and eliminate it? I'm not entirely convinced he knows what he's talking about. He also sold me a led light strip that was complete crap. Sometimes I feel like i'm totally winging it with my tanks...and the scary part is they are really big tanks. Anyway, I used to have a 55g then switched to a 150g and now i have a 95g also. However, I haven't had an outbreak of ich since the 55g five years ago. KNOCK on WOOD!

The UV only will get what is in the water, but the majority probably is not. Can't hurt, just is not a cure-all.

Ask for advice here. I've found that I trust the folks here more than my LFS. The store is not always wrong, but sometimes they are off with some things. They are there to make money. The good folks here aren't.

My lionfish still has lots of spots, my clown has none but his skin looks weird, I think he's been scratching, wrasse still none, Foxface still 2. Its like it's stalled where it is and not getting worse or better. So weird, I don't know what to think.

My Lion has it on his eyes, is this bad news?

I have a uv hooked to my 55 and ever sense I have never had a problem with ich. Yes it doesn't kill them if there on the fish or in the sand but when they are free floating it will eradicate them taking out one part if there cycle slowly killing them off... Lets not also add crystal clear water

Back
Top Bottom