Missing CoCo Worm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kwan

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a CoCo worm that is healthy and shown no sign of stress. But last week a Bumble Bee snail crawled just inside of it's tube. Obviously the worm retracted but it has not come out again for several days. I looked down the tube and can't see any sign of it nor it's crown. So where is it? Has it died?

It sounds like it died. The bumble bee no doubt took care of the remains. Everything I've read about coco worms is they are hard to keep. They are very sensitive to enviromental changes/water conditions and need to be fed regularly.

Well, I had mine for over 5 months and it has been fine, until a bumble bee walked down it's tube.

I really don't believe the bumblebee killed your worm. Could be it sensed something you can't see and knew it was checking out. I guess it's possible to get that one rouge snail but unlikely. 5 months isn't a long time and again, any flux in water will have an effect on the worm. It's a long shot but, suppose it's possible the snail stressed the worm and caused it's demise. :?

The Coco has re-emerged. I think it had lost it crown and is now growing back gradually. Incidentally, my feather duster had also lost its crown and it growing back.

I was going to suggest just that. I had accidentally put a coral in front of my coco for a couple of days and then it didn't come out for a couple of days after and then BAM! There it was! Glad to hear yours is back. I'd never heard that they were hard to keep. Bummer. So far so good on mine but I've only had him for a few months.

Yes they will drop their crown when stressed out. It`s possible the snail did it but I`ve got to agree with fluff.

Back
Top Bottom