Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-11-2004, 10:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Missing Poylps

Well not to long ago, we lost our healthy xenia, which looked like it had been eaten. Tonight I noticed yellow poylps that used to be about 50 are down to about 10. Well I start to feed the tank, and lo and behold a black crab with sharp claws comes out. First time I have ever seen this thing. Could this be the problem? How can I solve it? Thanks.

Old 11-11-2004, 10:31 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to xxmoorishmanxx
my first guess would be the peppermints, i cant think of any crab that eats any kind of healthy coral though i may be wrong). Permints as im sure u know eat aptasia, i have heard that on rare cases they eat similar looking polyps but personally never have seen or experianced it.

Old 11-11-2004, 10:40 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

imo depending on they type of xenia you have they are hit or miss ! the ones i bought from reefrunner (not sure what type ) spread like wild fire ! after my ac issue i lost them all ! so bought some more from a lfs and it slowly (3 months) just faded away !
the good ones where alittle tan color with long stalks and the ones that melted were smaller white stalks ! my lfs was also having issues with their growth ! as for the polyps
i wouldnt rule out the crab my ! but really doubt its the shrimp ! unless your starving them heheh which i doubt ! just my thoughts
Old 11-11-2004, 11:16 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

All other corals are fine...the yellow poylps are out and looking healthy, they are just disappering. I have had this tank for almost 9 months. This is the first, about the crab!
Old 11-11-2004, 11:24 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

grab the crab and keep a count on the poylps that will tell you
Old 11-12-2004, 12:00 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I had a few green button polyps that were fragged off of the big piece I have.
I just noticed that their missing.
someone took them.

My LFS just lent me a crab trap for a few days until the one I ordered comes in.
Tonight I am fishing for a Big crab and a little Mantis.

It's crazy what you find many months later that crept into your tank as a hitcher.
Just this week I find a pencil urchin, a black spine urchin, a small mantis shrimp, and the big crab I have now boldy walks around.

Unless a hitcher is 100% reef safe I am yanking them out of my tank.

Good luck catching your guy

Lighting: 48'' Coralife HQI aqualight pro | 2 150 watt MH | 2 96 watt true actinic fluorescents | 3 1 watt blue-moon-glow LEDs

Fish&Inverts: 3-BlueGreen Chromis | Shrimp Goby | Purple Firefish | 6 Line-Wrasse | LawnMower Blenny | Royal Gramma | Coral Beauty | Maxima Clam | 16 Assort. -Snails | LR Hitchers: Crabs, Urchins, Brittle Stars, Feather Dusters, and more

Corals: Assorted Mushrooms | Green Button Polyps | Toadstool Leather | Pulsing Xenia | Clove Polyps | Star Polyps | FrogSpawn | Branching Hammer | Candy Cane | Zoos | Ricordea | Open Brain | Bubble |
--------------------------------------------------------
24Gallon JBJ Nano Cube | LR 25lbs Marshall Creek/Tonga/Fiji | 2 Flase Percula Clowns | Shrooms | Xenia | Green Button Polyps | Snails | Hermits
EL Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 12:01 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I am with ya rev, I had 4 emarld crabs (or what they were sold to me as) and my mushrooms started to get torn apart, my xenia wasn't coming out either and had some missing polyps . I took out the crabs and the mushrooms started to heal yay and the xenia looks great! But my bubble coral got a tear in it a few days ago (seems to be recovering nicely though), so I am also on the look out. The more i read on this forum, the more scared I get to buy rock lol.

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
clowninround is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
missing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com