Missing Poylps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

revhtree

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well not to long ago, we lost our healthy xenia, which looked like it had been eaten. Tonight I noticed yellow poylps that used to be about 50 are down to about 10. Well I start to feed the tank, and lo and behold a black crab with sharp claws comes out. First time I have ever seen this thing. Could this be the problem? How can I solve it? Thanks. :wink:

my first guess would be the peppermints, i cant think of any crab that eats any kind of healthy coral though i may be wrong). Permints as im sure u know eat aptasia, i have heard that on rare cases they eat similar looking polyps but personally never have seen or experianced it.

imo depending on they type of xenia you have they are hit or miss ! the ones i bought from reefrunner (not sure what type ) spread like wild fire ! after my ac issue i lost them all ! so bought some more from a lfs and it slowly (3 months) just faded away !
the good ones where alittle tan color with long stalks and the ones that melted were smaller white stalks ! my lfs was also having issues with their growth ! as for the polyps
i wouldnt rule out the crab my ! but really doubt its the shrimp ! unless your starving them heheh which i doubt ! just my thoughts :)

All other corals are fine...the yellow poylps are out and looking healthy, they are just disappering. I have had this tank for almost 9 months. This is the first, about the crab!

I had a few green button polyps that were fragged off of the big piece I have.
I just noticed that their missing.
someone took them.

My LFS just lent me a crab trap for a few days until the one I ordered comes in.
Tonight I am fishing for a Big crab and a little Mantis.

It's crazy what you find many months later that crept into your tank as a hitcher.
Just this week I find a pencil urchin, a black spine urchin, a small mantis shrimp, and the big crab I have now boldy walks around.

Unless a hitcher is 100% reef safe I am yanking them out of my tank.

Good luck catching your guy

I am with ya rev, I had 4 emarld crabs (or what they were sold to me as) and my mushrooms started to get torn apart, my xenia wasn't coming out either and had some missing polyps :evil: . I took out the crabs and the mushrooms started to heal yay and the xenia looks great! But my bubble coral got a tear in it a few days ago :?: (seems to be recovering nicely though), so I am also on the look out. The more i read on this forum, the more scared I get to buy rock lol.

Back
Top Bottom