missing snowflake eel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mine seems to leave my snails and hermit crabs alone, but I had 2 emerald crabs..... Had 2 of them

Their natural diet mainly consists of crustaceans so yeah your cleaner shrimp is a tasty looking meal for one, but I wave also heard stories of them turning on smaller fish if not fed enough. I have a small sixline wrasse and Ocellaris Clown and blue damsel and coral beauty and he has never shown aggression towards any of them. So who knows every fish is different, you may not have any problems with your cleaner shrimp but I'm just saying don't be surprised if he dos make a snack out of him.

I have a snowflake who does not mess with my coral banded shrimp but any other shrimp gone in 24 hours maybe cause he was a juvenile and introduced at the same time...

Be careful there. Mine was the same when young but turned when he matured a bit. Ended up eating a clown and fairy wrasse one night. U may think there all friends but if a snowflake is hungry u never know what he will do.

So if I wanted to keep a snow flake eel, and royal grammar, 2 fire fish, 2 clownish, 1bluetang, and just kept the snowflake eel VERY WELL FED. Then everyone would be fine right? I do 10% water changes each week with red Sea coral pro salt and I have a protein skimmer and uv sterilizer.. Could I remove my Marineland 350 filter that has carbon in it?

I've had my snowflake for about 2 months, the only time I have seen him even notice the other fish in the tank is when I first put him in and my blue damsel and coral beauty were tail smacking him and he opened his mouth and kinda shook it from side to side. Never done it again and the Damsel and Beauty still do it from time to time, now he just ignores them. I feed him 3-5 pieces of diced flounder every day or two, if he's not hungry he won't take it otherwise I can get him to put his head out of the water to take it from my hand. Watch hand feeding though, they are very blind and I have been bitten multiple times, at 12" he's not really doing much damage but I can imagine a larger snowflake may not feel so good latched to your finger. I was also told never to feed live fish to him as that may start him attacking fish in the tank, obviously if he won't eat anything else at first then you don't really have an option until you ween him off live. I don't know the truth behind that, seems believable to myself so I don't feed my snowflake live. Hope this has been helpful and don't underestimate the escape artist, I did... 3 times, I just got lucky.

Cool thanks guys! I will take your suggestions into consideration:-! Hopefully mine won't try to commit suicide... ;(

I've been working on a 160 gallon and I was wanting one but Idk now. Congratulations on finding him alive. That's awesome

Thanks!
I love mine (when it doesn't disappear). You just have to child proof you tank so to speak.

My snowflake is in my rock, the rock is the size of a soccer ball and very porous. He has been poking his head out, but won't come all the way out. Should I be worried of him getting stuck. I don't want to risk hurting him by breaking the rock, but I don't want him to die in it - I'd NEVER get him out of the rock... Any suggestions?

image-998108704.jpg

I had to test the water to make sure he wasn't dead as he hasn't been out in over a week

Hold some food at the point where he pokes out of and wait.. That is what I do and he comes rite out to eat the food.. Try moving your hand farther away and let him chase it so he comes all the way out.

This should work and don't worry! I'd he is stuck he will thin out because of no food and eventually with be able to slip out. This happened to mine before.

Good luck and enjoy your eel! :D

Ahh. The water looks murky too. Do a major water changes! Like at least 30%. Usually my fish will hide if I ever don't keep up with my water changes.

I HAVE TO KEEP UP WITH MY WATER XHANGES BECAUSE I HAVE A SNOWFLAKE EEL IN A REEF TANK! I do a 10% water change each week and test water parameters and gravity. I've had it set up for about 8 months now and it's looking great!

Here is a pic of my tank and my eel at night.

Attachments

• 20121104_165955.jpg
    20121104_165955.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 70
  • 20121107_001452.jpg
    20121107_001452.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 62
  • 20121104_170636.jpg
    20121104_170636.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 56
I don't mean to steel this thread. But I don't think a few minutes will hurt ny one right? :)

What should I upgrade in my tank? I'm thinking of upgrading my:

Koralias to vortechs
Or
My night Light to and ecoxotic blue stunner
Or
Just getting a wave controller for my Koralias?

I can only do one for now and again SO SORRY FOR stealing this thread! :D

S3Reefer said:
I don't mean to steel this thread. But I don't think a few minutes will hurt ny one right? :)

What should I upgrade in my tank? I'm thinking of upgrading my:

Koralias to vortechs
Or
My night Light to and ecoxotic blue stunner
Or
Just getting a wave controller for my Koralias?

I can only do one for now and again SO SORRY FOR stealing this thread! :D

Please make your own thread....

Haha ha! Okok:D
But yeah I would definitely try the water change and try putting food right up to his cave. Thanks guys. :thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom