Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-25-2005, 11:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Misson..I hope its possible

My tank has been dreaded with ich for the longest time. I have 4 fish in the tank a 3 inch fairy wrasse, 1 1/2in fairy wrasse, 2 damsels and a dozen inverts not including my 3 cleaner shrimps. I would like to take all my fish out of the tank and just let the ich die off. My questions are how long does it take a tank to get rid of ich when there are no fish present, and any ideas where to put the 4 fish. I only have a 10gal QT tank(empty) I am planning on doing a water change today and putting the water im takeing out into the tank along with a 20gal whisper filter. If necessary i can discard of the damsels(maybe the fish store will take them back)

thanks

Old 02-25-2005, 11:41 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
If you took the damsels back, you could may get away with the 10 gallon. If you keep them you will need a 20 IMO. A 20 would be much more forgiving either way.
You need to leave the fish out for at least 6 week to rid the system of the parasite. If you don't already know, leave the invert in the main. They are not hosts.

Old 02-25-2005, 11:44 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to PumaKrieg Send a message via MSN to PumaKrieg Send a message via Yahoo to PumaKrieg
I think there are medicines for ich that you can pour into the entire tank to get rit of it. Also give all your fish a freshwater bath and wait at least a day for the medication to do its effect on the tank. Do the freshwater bath for 1-2 minutes and afterwards immediately put them back into the 10 gallon bucket. Sorry to say, i'm not sure if this will work for good. Also do make water changes. The lower the salinity in your tank, the less likely parasites will survive so start making slow adjustments by adding more freshwater. Try reaching a salinity rating of 1.015 i'm guessing. However, this can be devasting to hard to keep inverts like sea serpents. Hope i was some help.
PumaKrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 11:53 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I think there are medicines for ich that you can pour into the entire tank to get rit of it.
Bad idea, most have a dismal track record and can damage micrscopic like and invert when used in a main.

Quote:
Also give all your fish a freshwater bath and wait at least a day for the medication to do its effect on the tank.
Won't help to clear up ick, not worth the stress on the animals.
Quote:
Try reaching a salinity rating of 1.015 i'm guessing. However, this can be devasting to hard to keep inverts like sea serpents. Hope i was some help.
Not nearly low enough to hurt the parasite but I do agree, it is bad for the other life in the system. Hyposalinity should be performed in a qt setting and a SG of .009 must be reached and maintained for a period of at least 4 week to be effective.
Old 02-26-2005, 12:11 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ya i guess ill put the 2 wrasses in the 10gal since that is my only solution. After i fill up the qt tank with water from the main tank, how often should i do water changes and should i use rid ich or clout(dont know the exact name) or just do a hypsalinity. btw i have used no-ich on the main tank numerous times and it just keeps coming back. i dont even add any new fish... 80gal tank with 4 fish... this is a last resort. Also while the fish are out will it be OK to add some sand into the tank. I only have about 1/2in of live sand(i know i know) that is why i would like to add more.

Thanks
Old 02-26-2005, 12:20 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

I forgot to mention that i just bought 15gal of catalina water today. I use oceanic in the main tank and slowly want to change to catalina. Should i use the catalina water for the qt or the main tanks water?
Old 02-26-2005, 12:32 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

I just got one more suggestion. That is to put all my LR and inverts into my spare 55gal and treat the 80gal with some very strog meds such as clout and kill it all.
Old 02-26-2005, 12:34 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Don't need the sand, bare bottom with a few PVC elbows would be the best. Hypo would be great but do you own a refractometer?
If going with meds I recommend Cupramine along with the Sechem multitest kit for copper. It is well tolerated by most fish and works very well.
Quote:
Should i use the catalina water for the qt or the main tanks water
I would start with water from you main, you are going to treat it anyway.
Expect to do daily water changes for at least (with fresh salt mix, not from the main once treatment starts) the first couple of weeks and be sure to monitor ammonia, nitrite and PH closely.
Old 02-26-2005, 12:36 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
That is to put all my LR and inverts into my spare 55gal and treat the 80gal with some very strog meds such as clout and kill it all.
Would have to move all invert as well. If you did this I would just use hypo. I would never suggest using meds in your show tank.
Old 02-26-2005, 12:44 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

in your oppinion which would be a better solution. Putting the fish in the 10 gal and letting the main tank without a host. Or putting all the rock and inverts into the 55 gal and useing hypo on the main tank.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com