Mollies to saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bound_for_obx

Aquarium Advice Addict
what is the best way to acclimate mollies to saltwater? I want to use a few as bait to catch cirolanid isopods. My plan is to house them in a breeder net in the main tank and pick the isopods off of the net. Will I still need to QT them after the conversion from fresh to salt and if so when would the QT period start?
Note: There are no fish in the main tank at this time. The tank has been up and running since about the end of May.

The best thing would be to do a slow migration from fresh to salt. Possibly adding saltwater instead of evaporation. This method might be a bit to slow. In that case add concentrated saltwater for replace of evaporation. It shouldnt take more than two weeks to get up to 1.020 SG.

I acclimated my sailfin mollies to 1.026 over a period of 3 days.

I did it in 2-3 hours. No deaths and no signs of stress. 2 females dropped a couple thousand healthy babies a week after the conversion.

If I do a rapid transition (over a two or three day period) will I still need to QT them after the conversion from fresh to salt? Do you think that the transition will kill any bad organisms?

It may kill off freshwater ich, but that doesn't mean they won't be sick with something else. QT them.

well i heard that mollies acclimate to salt water in just 3 hours.i have not tried that but i seen pics on the net of the marine mollies.so i'd just say maybe u can try putting them directly in your marine tank.I have put fully FW mollies and directly put the in brackish and the next two day thy had babies so you can try putting the in oyu SW tank. :D

I acclimated 4 mollies in 2 1/2 hours in a 30 gallon tank no deaths or odd behavior. they seemed to have no problem with the adjustment :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom