Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-29-2012, 10:44 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

lost my foxface yesterday to an unknown illness. No signs of infection. Now my clown, who I thought was protecting eggs, seems to be the victim of an internal parasite. He has white stringy poo that continously seeps out. He's had it for two day. Has not eaten. Rapid breathing. No other fish show symptoms. Not even the female. What can I do? I don't have a quarunteen set up and can't get medication till tomorrow. But I don't know what's is wrong exactly. Please help. Two losses in a weekend is not what I was expecting. Not after such a good long run.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:32 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Come on people. No one responded to my foxface illness post and he's gone now. I'm not blaming anyone but no one offers any advice. Now my clown is on the verge and it's the same story. Someone please give a ****.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:39 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Maybe post some pictures?
Old 01-29-2012, 11:41 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm so new at this, but I found this in another forum in response to "white stringy poo disease"

"Stringy feces are due to intestinal Nematodes. Chances are you either have Camallanus or Capillary Nematodes. Both are easily controlled with Levamisole HCl. Camallanus are shown by red pricks sticking out of the anus of the fish. Theu can cause stringy feces that obscure them. One has to look closely to see them. Capillary are not so easy to find. Usually they cause the symptoms you report. Camallanus fills the intestine and body cavity with worms. Capillary just waste away the fish because they infiltrate the muscle tissue.
There aren't any medications on the LFS shelf that is strong enough to get rid of these Nematodes anymore because the low dosage has generated super bugs over the past decades."

Hopefully this will get you somewhere
Old 01-29-2012, 11:47 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I can't get pics because he's always hiding behind the rockwork. But it starts as thick white, then while it's coming out it gets more stringy. Then after getting an inch to two inches long it'll release into the water column. In the column it'll just drift with the water. Looks worm like but doesn't move at all. Just floats withthe movement of the water. I'll keep waiting to see if I can snag a pic.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:54 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hey bud, I would check out SeaChem's Metranidazole, I worked at a LFS, and used this product alot and sold it alot and had good results from customers on it I might also recommend Garlic Guard. Soak your food in a mixture of the dose of Metranidazole and Garlic Guard, the garlic should stimulate feeding. I wish you luck, and know that I give a ****!

Here's a link to the meds. You can find Garlic Guard on here too.
Seachem. Metronidazole
Old 01-30-2012, 12:47 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks for giving a ****! Makes me feel better. But the only problem is he won't eat. It's been two days. He cane our earlier tonight so I tried feeding. All other fish ate but he went back into hiding.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:50 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergie
Thanks for giving a ****! Makes me feel better. But the only problem is he won't eat. It's been two days. He cane our earlier tonight so I tried feeding. All other fish ate but he went back into hiding.
I did a little more reading on the internal parasites. I guess there is setting you can get to bathe the fish in, if he has the right parasite, that is.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:00 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

But that's just it, I can't tell.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:08 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
the first thing I would do is a water change. I doubt 2 fish dying within a few days of each other is from 2 different things.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com