more clown help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WarOrks15

Aquarium Advice Addict
ok so he just got over an ich infection about 3 weeks ago. he was doing grat until about 2 days ago. he would not move off the bottom of the tank. not he is off the bottom of the tank but looks like he has a little worm or some thing on this gills and the top of this head right above his eye. it is an off white color and like i said before only around his head and gills. could it be ich or some thing else. the only other thing in the tank is a cleaner shrimp and some hermits and some snails. all other look good. i do not have a camera to take a pic so i hope me describing what it looks like helps some. also if you have any idea how to get it off him and get him back to normal. thank you

Are you absolutely sure the clown had ich and how did you treat it? The symptoms sound like either a secondary infection or possibley lesions as a result of brooklynella. As well the display tank must be left fallow for 4-6 weeks to ensure the parasites die off while the clown is being treated or it will become re-infested.

If a secondary infection you should treat in a seperate QT tank with Nitrofurazone. 30 mg/gal for 3 days. If brooklynella, you should treat with formaldehyde but I would suggest reading >>this article<< for further clarification.

Cheers
Steve

well that is what the lfs store said it would be. and they said try not to treat it if at all possable. it took like 3 day for him to shake it off. and was doing vary well. i when to go do some shopping for a few hours to day (right after i posted) and when i got back all of the off white worm like stuff on his body were gone. should i move him to the q tank? and i am getting one more clown fish on sunday. i cant move the date i have to pick him up at like 1:30 what should i do with him? will he be fine in the main tank and the sick one in the q tank?

WarOrks15 said:
well that is what the lfs store said it would be. and they said try not to treat it if at all possable. it took like 3 day for him to shake it off. and was doing vary well.
The clown may have "shaken off" whatever may have been the problem but the parasite or other problem causing the issue has not been dealt with and is still in the tank.

i when to go do some shopping for a few hours to day (right after i posted) and when i got back all of the off white worm like stuff on his body were gone.
That part of your description would lead me to think this is indeed brooklynella and not C. irritans. If the "worm" stuff looks like excess mucus or body slime it would be a sure bet. The only other possibility might be a type of fluke infestation. Do they actually move or hover over the clown like a cloud? Very hard to be sure without actually seeing the clown.

should i move him to the q tank? and i am getting one more clown fish on sunday. i cant move the date i have to pick him up at like 1:30 what should i do with him? will he be fine in the main tank and the sick one in the q tank?
I would definately not place the new one in the main tank. If you have a problem, the new clown will also become affected. It should be acclimated to the QT on arrival whether the other is being treated or not. Might be an idea to place the current clown in the QT but to be honest I do not know what to suggest as far as a treatment is concerned. The formalin article I refered you to would deal with the brooklynella and a possible parasite worm problem but if that was not the case the treatment would have little or no affect.

Can you post a pic of the affected area or provide a better detailed desciption of the problem?

Cheers
Steve

i think i might have just been slime on him. the thing is that he is not showing many signs on his body just the way he acts. he has not eaten in about 3 days. he says in one corner of the tank at the same level all day. i really do not know how i could better describe what is happening.

well i just turned off the light and now he moved out of his spot that he has been in all day to the cc floor. i hope he makes it.

so you are saying put both of the clowns in the q tank together? or put the sick one in there and the new one in the main tank.

WarOrks15 said:
so you are saying put both of the clowns in the q tank together? or put the sick one in there and the new one in the main tank.
I realize you have indicated the new clown is coming in at 1:30 pm today but I would urge you to try and cancel or delay it. The issue is that you should QT the clown you have now and prepare to treat once you can get a clearer idea of what the cause is. The problem with adding the new clown is that is a small space such as a QT could cause both to squabble as they get used to each other increasing stress, which would lower immune responses and make matters worse. If the main tank is infested with a parasite (which I think it is), the new clown will just become infected or quite possibley introduce something new.

The main reason I am still hesitant as to what the problem is, you said you have had this clown for 3 weeks and it has sloughed off the probem but it keeps returning. The symptoms you have described suggest brooklynella but in that time frame, the clown shouldn't have survived without some sort of treatment on your part.

Cheers
Steve

well you see i really can not delay him come. it is a vary long story and i really do not feel like typing it all out. but i know there is nothing i can do to delay it. well i think what i will do it keep the sick one in the main tank and put the new one in the q tank. dose brooklynella live in the water too? would i have to mix up all fresh water to prevent the Transfer? man i am going to get a uv after this is all done.

would Nitrofurazone be safe to use with inverts in the tank (nm found that part in the artical)? or do you just do long dips with the sick fish. could i use like a 5gal bucket for that? and then when the dip is done put him back in the show tank? Can i buy that stuff at any LFS for the most part? and what is it called just Nitrofurazone. or do i just mix that up and put him in there for 3 days? thank you for all your help.

WarOrks15 said:
dose brooklynella live in the water too? would i have to mix up all fresh water to prevent the Transfer?
I would not use the water from the main tank to start the QT. In fact don't use anything from the display tank to kick start the QT. You will just end up transfering the problem to the new fish.

man i am going to get a uv after this is all done.
A UV may help limit the level of infestation for a parasite outbreak but it is by no means a cure. Do not rely on it to prevent these kinds of problems only help augment an already proven remedy.

would Nitrofurazone be safe to use with inverts in the tank (nm found that part in the artical)?
Nitrofurazone is an antibiotic and should not affect the inverts. It will however destroy the tanks biological filter and should never be used in the main display tank. It should be used in conjunction with the formalin to treat secondary infection that may ensue from the parasite. It in itself is not a cure for the parasite.

or do you just do long dips with the sick fish. could i use like a 5gal bucket for that? and then when the dip is done put him back in the show tank?
You can do the formalin dip with the sick fish but it cannot be placed back into the display tank. It will just become re-infected. The display must remain fallow for at least 4-6 weeks to allow the parasite to die off. Setting up a second QT would actually be the best suggestion. Any clean plastic container large enough will do providing you can employ a decent filtration source and add a heater. Rubbermaid totes from the local HD are pretty good just be sure to clean them well without using soap.

Can i buy that stuff at any LFS for the most part? and what is it called just Nitrofurazone. or do i just mix that up and put him in there for 3 days?
>>Formalin<< would be the best suggestion for the dip. Most LFS should carry it or at least a formaldehyde product. >>Furacyn<< by Aquatronics (bottom of the page) would be the best suggestion for nitrofurazone. 30 mg/gal for 3-5 days should be all that is needed.

Cheers
Steve

well i am setting up my q tank right now. i have had the corner filter sitting in the sump for about a weeks now. i am mixing up a fresh batch of salt water to put the sick fish in. and the new clown i think might have to put in the old fw tank that i just took down. it is a 12 gal but i have not had the filter pad sitting in the main tank to grow stuff one. or will he just have to cycle it?

WarOrks15 said:
well i am setting up my q tank right now. i have had the corner filter sitting in the sump for about a weeks now. i am mixing up a fresh batch of salt water to put the sick fish in.
The new SW is good but the seasoned filter should not be used. Not sure how far you've gone since I last posted but I would suggest rinsing the corner filter in fresh RO water to kill off any possibility of contaminating the new QT. If you've already used it, then it's too late and you may end up needing to use >>Rid ich<< instead as it contains formaldehyde and should alleviate and "transfered" problems.

and the new clown i think might have to put in the old fw tank that i just took down. it is a 12 gal but i have not had the filter pad sitting in the main tank to grow stuff one. or will he just have to cycle it?
Both tanks will need to be started from scratch and nothing from the main tank used unless first rinsed very well in RO water. Have lots of well mixed SW ready for water changes to keep the upcomming ammonia and such in check...

Cheers
Steve

well i did not get the other clown from he lfs. he when back on his word and to sum up all that i will not be spending any more money at his store. and as for the clown. i did 2 fw dip after calling a different lfs ( this store is like one of the best store i have ever seen. they have won so many awards in the past) and he is not doing great. he is swimming around the tank. i have yet to move him to the q tank. (had to work) so i will see how he is doing in the morning when i get up. but just before i went to work he was swimming around and chasing stuff like snail poop and stuff. could not get him to eat but i think that will be coming soon. i think he is going to make it. thank you for your help.

If the clown responded to the FW dip then the parasite (brooklynella) theory is most likely the cause. You need to move the clown into the QT after it has been dipped (preferabley dipped with formalin) to prevent re-infestation. As long as you place it back in the main tank, there will be a greater chance of re-occurance.

Cheers
Steve

ya i know. he will be making the move today. now since the water in the q tank is all new. should i do the drip for a few hours so get gets used to the new water?

could i still add corals to the main tank? when the clown is in the q tank? i only ask because my tax rebate check is going to be here soon and would like to get some thing growing in there other then coralline algae.

WarOrks15 said:
ya i know. he will be making the move today. now since the water in the q tank is all new. should i do the drip for a few hours so get gets used to the new water?
You need to acclimate the fish to the qt the same as you would a new arrival since you cannot use the main tanks water. Just be sure that the salinity, ph, temp and alk match as close as possible and you will not need as long an acclimation time. The less stress the better. I would also suggest monitoring ammonia and nitrite twice a day and do the water changes as needed.

could i still add corals to the main tank? when the clown is in the q tank? i only ask because my tax rebate check is going to be here soon and would like to get some thing growing in there other then coralline algae.
Only fish are affected by the problem. Mobile and sessile inverts can be added to the main tank without concern. Just be sure they definately get the proper acclimation time. :wink:

Cheers
Steve

thank you for your help. the clown is doing just fine after a 2 hour drip in a bucket. and you say about 3-4 week i should keep the tank with out any fish?

Back
Top Bottom