more deaths in tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bosslady

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have had my tank set up for 6 months. Everything was going really well. I bought a draft lion and put him in the main tank after QT with other tank mates I already had. Within about three weeks my tang, damsel, clowns all had what I thought was ich. I put them in a qt tank and treated. Not being sure it was ich or something else, I took the whole tank down. Cleaned the LR, sand and tank. I recyled the tank. After it recycled I put the remaining fish that had not died in the main tank. That was the lion, butterfly and one damsel. I bought new fish, QT them and put them in main tank. Now about three weeks into starting over again all fish are dead again except the lion All levels in tank remain normal. temp good. Snails and crabs fine also brittle star and leather coral. I don't know what is causing this. I spoke to lfs person tonight and she said her guess would be that the lion fish is attacking the others at night. She said the fish are dieing from the stress or being stung by the lion. The lion seems very peaceful during the day. I have never seen him attack anything. How possible are her thoughts? My problems did start when I got him.

Jeanett

If you had ich then its best to just let it die itself out. Approx 6 -8 weeks with no fish in the tank does the trick. Or assuming you don't care or even have worms and pods, you can do hypo salinity which basically makes the water very low in salt content which kills the ich. By cleaning it all you destroy all the bacteria, even though you let it recycle I think you added to many fish to fast. You also don't state the size of your tank this may also be a problem. Also how long did you cycle it. Are you testing for Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate? As far as the lion that sounds very stupid and lions are very peaceful unless the fish is very small. Which ends up in its mouth. Ive kept one before with other fish and no problems.

If you treated the fish for the parasite properly and QT'd all new fish, I would not think ick would be your problem. How did you treat the fish once transfered to the QT?

Your profile states a 75 gal in wall tank. Is there a possibility of insulation or other contaminates getting into the tank?

Cheers
Steve

a little about lions...the venomous spines are not used as an attack mechanism. They are defensive. Also, Lions will eat other fish, or leave them alone because they are too big......I have never seen harrassment behaviour from one. After lights out, a fish that is not nocturnal, is hiding in the rocks sleeping while the lion cruises the tank.

treatment

I treated the fish in QT with coppersafe and melafix. I didn't add two many fish to the main tank at one time. After QT I only had two fish to live. Than I add one new fish at a time with two weeks in between. I figure between both restocking I have lost 9 fish. The cost is getting to be to much. I don't mind paying for a nice fish but hate to see it die. The only one to live each time is the lion. I am feeding him grass shrimp. Could they be causing the problem?

The shrimp won't be the cause but it sounds like your QT period might be. That or also the cupramine did not do the job. The melafix will do nothing for parasites. How long was the main tank left fallow after the first occurance?

When treating with coppersafe, you need to get the level up to 1.5-2.0 ppm and keep it there for 3 weeks to be sure the problem is gone. It must also be tested with a copper kit that will read for chelated copper. Ionic test kits will give you an inaccurate reading. If doing water changes it will reduce the concentration and must be augmented when doing so.

When new fish are placed in the QT, they should be monitored for a minumum of 3 weeks but preferabley 4 before placing in the display tank. Two weeks is really not enough time to be sure the fish is problem free.

Cheers
Steve

after the first time I left it fallow for four weeks. The lion fish has now died also. The only thing in the tank is the snails and a brittle star.

I guess I will leave it with out fish for 4 weeks again.

Might try longer this time. After a velvet outbreak, I left mine fallow for 8 weeks. Everone is back in now and doing great.
Good luck!!! (y)

Sorry for you losses :(

Be sure that you continue to feed the tank once or twice a week sparingly while the tank is fallow. As quarryshark suggested, it might not be a bad idea to extend the time a few weeks to be sure your problem is gone. Just rememeber when you are ready to add new fish, one at a time and 4 weeks apart .

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom