Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-04-2004, 12:15 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

More sign of ich!!!

Having battled with ich for the past 3 months is really not the way to introduce SW to a newbie. I am totally devastated. I have moved my fish back in the main tank for about a week after 6 weeks in hypo. I have kept the salinity to 1.009 daily when they were in QT and the main tank had been left to fallow for 6 weeks. I have not added any new stock during this time, but I don't understand why my yellow tang is showing signs of ich. My regal and clarkii is still fine. But now I am worry they might catch ich as well.

So, what should I do? I am tempted to just leave him in the main for a couple of days to see if it is really ich and whether the cleaner shrimps can help out. I am not keen to QT him again since he has been in hypo for 3 months now and is certainly not good for his health.

What could have gone wrong? I think the hypo treatment worked fine. Is more likely that my main still has some ich parasite. But I thought 6 weeks was enough to get rid of it.

Old 06-04-2004, 01:23 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Sorry you are having so much trouble. I had similar problems when I got started, but mine was with velvet, there may have been ich as well.
Have you considered copper, specifically cupramine.
After a cupramine treatment and a 8 week fallow period, it did the trick. Perhaps if the tang is stressed, you could remove him to qt and leave normal tank water for a few days to allow him to rest. Then start the copper treatment.
Just a thought.

Old 06-04-2004, 01:51 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks QS!

I used copper before, but the tang was so stressed out that I had to use hypo again. Cupramine is very difficult to get hold of in the UK. However, I have managed to find a stocklist and bought a bottle of this highly rated medication.

Moving him off to QT with normal tank water might be an idea. I think I shall just leave him tonight and check him again tomorrow before I move him off. And then I'll try out Cupramine. I think it would be better to leave the main tank to fallow for at least 8 weeks.
Old 06-04-2004, 02:07 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Agree with the fallow period. With the cupramine, you really need to get the Seachem multitest kit for copper. At proper levels the med works great and is relatively mellow on the fish.
I believe http://www.marinedepot.com
Carries the test kit. Not sure about UK delivery.
Its a nightmare I know.
Good luck!!
Old 06-04-2004, 03:22 PM   #5
steve-s

What was used to measure the salinity and if a refractometer, when was it calibrated last?

Cheers
Steve
Old 06-04-2004, 04:23 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I used a refractometer and I calibrated it before I started hypo. I have just calibrated again and it is consistent with measurements taken before and after.
Old 06-04-2004, 07:03 PM   #7
steve-s

How often is the salinity checked throughout the process?

Sorry for all the Q's, I'm just trying to figure out your issue. Hyposalinity performed accurately rarely (if ever) fails. Especially after 6 weeks at 16 ppt.

Cheers
Steve
Old 06-04-2004, 07:18 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I checked salinity everyday. I think hyposalinity was fine. It could be the tank not left to fallow long enough. But surely 6 weeks should have done the job.
Old 06-04-2004, 07:31 PM   #9
steve-s

6 weeks usually does the trick, that's why I am at a loss unless something during the process was amiss.

Cheers
Steve
Old 06-04-2004, 08:21 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well Steve, I don't think I have missed anything out. It is my second attempt at hyposalinity. The only thing that could have gone wrong is the fallow period might have been too short which both of us think should be sufficient.

So having started the SW tank six months ago, my fish have spent 3 months in QT and more on the way. The additional work required to maintain the QT is very demanding and I am about to throw in the towel. Since I have these LR and inverts I can't just strip down the main tank and start over again. Any suggestions?

Tags
ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com