more xenia weirdness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nicksgirl

Aquarium Advice Activist
My pulsing xenia was very happy until my yellow goby died. Now it is silvery white (it used to be clearly pink) and the stalks and arms seem dry, brittle and withered. It still pulses and responds to light. but it is very different.

My yellow goby died last weekend. Before the death, he perched and played in the Xenia quite a bit. It seemed very much like a clown and an anemone... Now the goby is gone and the xenia seems to be in mourning! Do you think it is possible the coral misses the fish?

I have tested the water every day and found no problems. No ammonia, nitrites, or nitrates. pH was 8.6 and alkaline normal. 2 days ago, I did a 20% wc in order to fight some cyno. Today, chemistry is still good except for nitrite (reading .25) I did another 20% wc but I am wondering if pH can be too high.

My pH is steady at the top of my test chart which goes to 8.6. Everyone else seems to have lower pH.. Would high pH hurt my fish or coral?

BTW. the tank is new (8 or 10 weeks) and the goby was the first to die.
Thanks for any ideas!
Becks

You're sure your pH is 8.6? That sounds high. It might be okay at that range, but I've never heard of pH bing up so high. If its at the top of the chart, it could be even more than that.

Something is making your water very alkaline.

Are you dosing with something like Kalk or Kent's pH buffer?

You might want to try a new pH test kit. I've never heard of an 8.6 reading.

nicksgirl said:
Today, chemistry is still good except for nitrite (reading .25)

This is a good indicator of what might have happened. It could have been this or ammonia before it turns into the nitrite. Ammonia and nitrite in any amount is deadly. Continue to do PWC`s till under control. It might be the reason for your Zenia acting up also. Hope all goes well

The WC does seem to help and I am getting better at it. ( I found out the hard way how to stop a siphon without putting water on the floor. Ha ha ha... Duh....)

I will take a sample into the LFS for a second opinion on the pH... But I am not using a buffer or any KH... If I remember correctly, the pH shot up to 8.6 shortly after I originially added livestock. It has tested the same deep purple ever since.

What would cause high pH? I make my seawater from purified water and Oceanic salt mix.

I have found that if your PH is out of wack tha PWC`s will bring it back to normal.

although the ph is high, it is the nitrite that is the bigger issue. As Mike said though, partial water changes are the answer. Test the water in the bucket after it is well aerated and ready for your tank.

I asked the LFS to test a water sample and they found the pH to be normal (8.3)... Can't explain the weird results I was getting but at least the results were consistent so I am guessing the pH has been stable. I guess it is time to ditch that old test kit.

The LFS confirmed Ammonia and Nitrites are 0, but he found elevated phosphate. I don't use tap water to mix make my saltwater so I am assuming the source is my fish food. I am feeding mysis shrimp.

Do ya'll know of any other source of phosphate I ought to be consider?

Also. (FYI) the LFS says he has used iodine as therapy for ailing Xenia. I will not try that because he also said it is poison and must be dosed carefully. (Who would have thought coral would respnd to holistic medicine? Hee hee)

Phosphate just comes mainly from the fish food. Changing the water frequently gets rid of it.

Sounds like a new test kit is the way go, I'm in the same boat myself.

I also wouldn't bother with the iodine... Keep trying water changes and see if the lack of the goby is something it's getting used to.

some salts are high in phosphate content...test the water while it is still in the bucket, before you do a water change.

Good news! It looks like the PWC did the trick. The xenia is practically back to normal. I don't know if the phosphates are still a problem. (I don't have a test for that). But Nitrites are 0..... confirmed by three separate samples. My old test kit, my new test kit and the LFS test kit!

Yipee!
Thanks for your thoughts!

You got some GREAT! advice in this thread. The first thing I always do if I have a problem is a PWC, followed by testing.

Xenia can be strange sometimes and we still do not fully understand why. The one thing I can tell you is that if you hear, "xenia likes dirty water," this is NOT true. I kept pom pom in pristine water and many others have as well. I think the misconception comes because some corals grow faster when there is escess nutrients in a system.

One thing I have experienced is that xenia is sensitive to low PH.

Most people in my local reef club have so much that everybody gives it away.

I don't know if I have hearty variety or not - but she sure seems like a trooper. Every now and then, she crumples over in a heap and then hours later she is standing up and looking proud again.

Today I moved all my livestock into my new tank(s). So everybody has "100% clean" water and the xenia looks great!

Thanks again!

nicksgirl said:
Today I moved all my livestock into my new tank(s). So everybody has "100% clean" water and the xenia looks great!

Thanks again!

That sounds like good news to me.

Back
Top Bottom