Moved LR...now ich???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AndrewD

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Yesterday, for the first time in my 55 gallon tank's life (6 months), I moved all of the LR around to change the landscaping, hopefully making it better for my fish and for me aesthetically. And today...ich on two of my fish (Reef Butterfly and Fiji Puffer). The other two fish I have (Blue Damsel and Gold-Striped Maroon Clownfish) appear to be OK thus far. Does the altering of my LR have anything to do with this??? I wouldn't think so, but I'm wondering...
To provide more info:
I think the ich may stem from the newest fish (Reef Butterfly), which I've had since 5/19. He's displaying more symptoms than the Puffer (small white spots and rotting fins). No agaggression thus far between any fish. All are eating normally and have varied diets. Water parameters...8.2 for PH, Ammonia and Nitrites at 0 and Nitrates reading 10 on a Saltwater Master Liquid Test Kit by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals. All fish currently are acting normal. I have 30-35lbs of LR a Penguin 330 Filter, a Cyclone 100 Protein Skimmer and crushed coral. No additives whatsoever have been used.
Thanks in advance for all the help, sorry for the long email (just answering all the questions I was told to provide answers to). Thanks again!

-Andrew

Given your last addition was 3 weeks ago, it's more than possible the Bfly carried in a parasite.

If your sure this is not free floating debris from the rock move, then the fish will require treatment and the main system fallowed. Fin rot should not occur overnight so I would have the water specs re-tested by the LFS. It is possible it could be from aggressive behavior as well.

What fish are in the tank besides the Bfly and puffer? Do you know what species?

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom