mushroom bleaching

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fire goby

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

recently, my mushroom starts to bleach and now, they are disintegrating...... lost quite a few.

my water parameters is

NO2 = 0
NO3 = 30
KH = 6
PH = 8.5
SG = 1.026

have been adding a very small dosage of iodine. ( below the recommended amount)

please advise..........

Your nitrates are a little high, but not so much to cause a problem... are you adding any phytoplankton? The zooxanthellae in the mushrooms is being lost somehow... it's normally a stress reaction. In the ocean, it's seen when the ocean is receding and reefs that were at 25 ft below the surface of the water are now 15 feet below and the amount of light and temperature has become unsuitable.

How big is your tank? What's your water temp and where are they placed? What kind of lighting are you using? How long are your lights on for? Are they resting on the top of the tank or suspended above? Is there glass between the light and the tank?

Dosing below what is recommended always seems like a safe way to go, but after taking care of mushrooms for a while now, I can tell you that it just kills more slowly.

kh is low and ph is a little high do 30% water change that should fix the ph and bring the kh up to 9-11

Those parameters aren't perfect, but nothing that would cause mushrooms to bleach/disintegrate. What do you have in your tank for livestock? How long has it been set up? Ever used copper - or had the tank ever previously been set up for FW?

It could be a possible predator - have you examined them closely for odd-looking snails, nudibranches, etc? .

Even lighting (depending on the exact 'shroom, and where they came from) is an iffy topic. I have a tons of 'shrooms, button polyps, and star polyps in our refugium, under a Home Depot shop light - they've been there for months now, and look perfectly fine.

What about calcium levels?

Why are you adding Iodine? Have you confirmed low readings via a test kit? Any other additives?

Back
Top Bottom