Mushroom frag not splitting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ekean45

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought a mushroom frag about 5 1/2 months ago and thought it would have split by now. It appears to be healthy but wondering if there could possibly be something wrong. I've moved the mushroom to several different spots in the tank, both high and low. Lighting is not the best 2 T-5's, 10k white and actinic. I have some zoanthid and green star polyps that have been growing like crazy. Here are some pics.

Any suggestions?

49640-albums2861-picture45890.jpg

49640-albums2861-picture45891.jpg

Some mushrooms just don't split for a very long time. There is one at my lfs that is a little over a foot in diameter. You could cut it if you want.

Thanks - I've never cut a mushroom before - or fragged - and I'm concerned I would kill it. Is there an art to doing it? I'm pretty new to coral.

Mushrooms are pretty easy to frag. Look it up on YouTube. You pretty much just cut it and make sure you have a piece of it's foot and mouth on either side.

shrooms are the easiest I just put 1 or 2 in blender for like 2 sec to chop it up than just sprinkle them in tank now there every where

54seaweed said:
shrooms are the easiest I just put 1 or 2 in blender for like 2 sec to chop it up than just sprinkle them in tank now there every where

OMG. Blending them up didn't entirely kill it? Thinking I wouldn't be able to bring myself to do that. :/

Eeeek I could not do that. Holy moly. I could see how it would work after seeing how they separate but I just could not do that. I love my mushrooms. :) lol

54seaweed said:

Hahaha thats awesome

Back
Top Bottom