My anemone is dieing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

firehorn88

Aquarium Advice Newbie
]Hello everyone im thinking that there is something wrong with my BTA, ive had it for about one month and it hasnt eaten anything yet, also lately it keeps shrinking into almost nothing and has these string goo stuff dangling from it, it then re opens again.
current setup: 300 ltr tank
phosphates, amonia, nitrites 0
nitrates were 50 though i did a 50% water change lately
salinity 1.023ppm
i dose iodine and calcium
i have 2 high bright power mr16 LED's which i think the anemone sees as too bright as it moved away from the spot.
i havent figured out how to attach photos to this post as i have photos of it shriveled up. it also has become much more lighter in color since i got it.
Thanks for any help :)
Mark

photo.php

226903_10150170130373183_535793182_6840970_2705117_n.jpg

Those LED's don't sound bright enough... I think it moved because it is trying to find more light. That's a reaction to lack of light. What are the wattage of your two MR16's? Even the best that are available today is like 6W even with LED's that's still not enough for a tank your size.
photo.php

photo.php

Last edited:
hello, thanks for helping out :) im not sure its a light issue as before i installed these mr16 lights i just had 2 tubes, one purple and one daylight color. these MR16 are very very bright and i got them the same colour temp as metal halide.

imgres

thanks
Mark

also that pic is before the new lighting and it was the first day i got it, as you can see it has a very dark colour, now its quite light. how can i attach images from my pc? ive got recent ones where it is deflated. the MR16 im using now are super bright with the same color temp as metal halide.

http://www.google.com.mt/imgres?img...y=108&sqi=2&page=1&ndsp=40&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
You are too new so your posts have to be approved before they are posted, but I still can see yours in my e-mail... the way I post pictures in here is I either upload it to facebook or photobucket.
About your nem in this pic the lighting looks worse
225709_10150170130443183_535793182_6840971_8372265_n.jpg

I would say again that I need to know what MR16's you are using but I can almost guarantee that they are not strong enough.

oh thats good, tonight i will upload the photo i have of it shrinked up with stuff dangling from it to Facebook and let you know, yes the lighting you are seeing in the above photos are the old lights ( the florescent tubes), now ever since i did these mr 16 lights it has moved downwards to the left ie more shaded place.
th mr16 i use are these : Ir-rizultat ghat-tfittxija ta' stampi permezz ta' Google ghal http://www.mr16led.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/MR16-LED.jpg

my posts arent coming up :/ i replied saying that the pictures above are before i installed the new lights (Mr16) i also forgot to mention that the tank sees about 1hr of direct sunlight each day.
the mr16 i have are these: (remove the curly bracket from the start and end to become a link.

{http://www.google.com.mt/imgres?imgurl=http://www.mr16led.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/MR16-LED.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.mr16led.net/tag/mr16-led/&usg=__ZGRFD451xINtJzsA5MP_N6wmZzc=&h=811&w=900&sz=91&hl=mt&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=3gayGy6-u3X41M:&tbnh=149&tbnw=188&ei=SZTbTcHFKo3o-gauwLW5Dw&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dmr16%2Bled%26um%3D1%26hl%3Dmt%26sa%3DN%26biw%3D1564%26bih%3D913%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=307&vpy=72&dur=1284&hovh=213&hovw=237&tx=153&ty=119&sqi=2&page=1&ndsp=40&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0}

my posts arent coming up :/ i replied saying that the pictures above are before i installed the new lights (Mr16) i also forgot to mention that the tank sees about 1hr of direct sunlight each day.
each time i try to post a link for the mr16, the post doesnt come :/

i have uploaded the pics where it is shrivled up with its mouth open

Login | Facebook

Last edited by a moderator:
they will shrink and stuff as much as they want, it's how that poop, it looks healthy to me, but what are your phosphates levels. and Calcium, although nems don't use calcium. how many wats do you have in your tank, what type of bulbs? ps. sunlight is really bad for tanks. it causes bad algae groth. you need 2-3 watts per gallon. What test kits are you using as well?

hey Codyheitmiller :) yes it looks healthy there but it doesn't seem to inflate anymore like that except for the early morning when the lights are still off. also whenever i feed it, it never holds on to the food and drops it, ive tried lots of different type of food too. my phosphates are 0 and i dose calcium too :) the lights i use are 2 tubes, one violet and the other daylight white and these mr16 high powered led like in the link above though i dont know the wattage. i will set up blinds to block the sun as its true i have algae growing at a fast rate. i use test strips and also liquid tests done by the pet shop. the only problem are nitrates which im reducing my water changes.
Thanks

Algae could be taking in phosphates and such, giving you a ghost tank, how old is the tank?

oh sorry i mixed up phosphates with amonia for some reason :S my pH is good according to tests, around 8.0 if i remember well, but i keep filtering the sand and rocks due to algae growth. the tank is about 2 years old.

no i actually get water from the sea, mix it with tap water to bring it to the right salinity, add tetra marine safe and then top up the tank.

not from a sandy beach no hehe, yes from quite far out where its clean. and i also use declhorinator, tetra aqua safe i think its called, a blue liquid. my bta looks better since these posts :) also added a cleaner shrimp to the tank :)

Well I am glad to hear that. Glad to hear you aren't using the water right from the shore. That would be death to your nem for sure. lol Keep up the good work and happy reefing.

Back
Top Bottom