my anemone needs help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoshD

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently bought a bubble type anemone from my LFS. I have had it in me tank for a week now. This morning i woke up and looked in my tank and the anemone was missing, i looked for it, finally found it on the backside of my LR. It was all tucked up except for a few tentacles and i could see the mouth, it was very loose and droopy. I need to know what may be happening to it, and if there is any way to reverse this and save it. I would greatly appreciate your responses.

Hi Josh, welcome to AA.
It would help immensely to know a bit about your tank and set up. How long has it been running? What kind of lighting do you have? How big is the tank? What else is in the tank?

thank you, and about my tank:
It is a 20Gal, i run a protein skimmer and a regular power filter. It was originally a FOWLR tank, it ran for 7 months before i decided to make a change. i have a 18W 50/50 light running, because thats what was recommended. it inhabits two fish and some LR.

I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Somebody has badly misinformed you about lighting needs. An anemone requires *roughly* 4 watts per gallon or higher of light to survive. That means there should be about 80 watts on that tank.

Your anemone does not have the lighting it needs to live. It is pretty much slowly starving to death as a plant would that has been put in a dark closet.

You might try to return it to the LFS just so it has a chance for survival, although it is doubtful at this point in time.

I believe it is probably too late, but you are looking at a good bit of money as well as it not being something you can just run down to the store and pick up unfortunately.

ok, just to update on this subject.
I was able to get a 10,000k light and swap it in for my 6500k 50/50. The BTA sure seemed to like that. i was also told to start feeding it a few time a week, using brine shrimp to start and then use krill or even silversides. The anemone seems to be doing well and is moving its tentacles around letting them extend. But i still am worried, when i woke up this morning, it was all bunched up with just the top 1/2 inch of its tentacles showing, and the mouth was tight, not loose. so my question is, is that normal for the anemone to do when the lights are off or is this a sign that there is still something wrong? thank you for all of your help thus far and a thank you in advance.

anemone will do that. As for feeding the meaty items, I will share with you something I learned at MACNA this year from Anthony Calfo. I too, used to think that they will eat the bigger pieces, I would see them take them in and think it was good-to-go. What we were told is that the anemone cannot "use" food that big and will regurgitate it out later in the night when you arent looking. Stick with smaller pieces like the brine and it will be able to make use of it. Or else, chop up the bigger pieces, pulvarize it well, and then feed it.

Quick hijack for Hara.

How big should the pieces be for the anemone? I have frozen shrimp that I cut up to give to my BTA and he grabs it and takes it in, Haven't seen any strange goop expulsion through the night, but then again, I have a Serpent Star that inhabits the underside of the anemone's rock, so he may come out and get it when he smells it in the water.

Anyhow, how fine should I chop the pieces, I cut them up to about 1/4" pieces and give him one piece a week. Serpent Star gets a couple of pieces and that's it.

I havent taken the krill idea out yet, i am still feeding with just brine shrimp and anemone loves it. he is becoming more active and staying open all day and night which brings me much more enjoyment from my tank. i may be over reacting, but isnt the anemone moving moving places a bad thing? i woke up this morning and we was attached to my powerhead, the only one not in use though. i am not sure if its just a move to find his place of what..... i am just happy that its lively again. and thank you Hara for all of your help! its nice to know theres someone out there willing to help answer a few questions no matter how big or small.

He will move where ever he feels comfortable. Do you have sponges or something over your phs intake, so he doesn't get sucked in?

Back
Top Bottom