my anenome has no sting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sirfishmaster

Aquarium Advice Freak
i bought a sebae anenome, my LFS has had it for ahwile...i bought it for 2.00. it has no sting to it.....i aclimated it, put it on a rock and it shrunk....next day when lights came on he was wide open....lights go on it shrivels up.....last nigt i was feeding my Condy....(shrimp) i take a piece and just barely touch the tenticles and it drags it in like fingers....gave a piece to the sebae and nothing...i put it right at the mouth and it just sat there....does it take time? i put my finger on a tenticle and there was no stick...since the petstore had it for so long i assumed it was healthy, but could it be sick?

doug

You definately did not acclimate it long enough, nor do I think that is a great method to acclimate. A teaspoon of water is almost nothing.

Is he too close to too intense of a light source?

well, then how does drip aclimation work? that is a lot less water than a teaspoon?
i had it right at the top 3" of the tank....but as the specs on this species calls out BRIGHT light is this wrong?

doug

well, then how does drip aclimation work? that is a lot less water than a teaspoon?

Each drip is smaller than a teaspoon, but you gotta remember that you would be doing about one drip per second. Spread that out over 120 minutes or so, and your new critter would be able to slowly adjust to the new water conditions. Also during the drop, you can scoop out some water to further increase the saturation of the new water.

Drip acclimation works by constantly dripping water every second or two for about 1-2+ hours.

Did you check if it was sticky at the LFS?
Since it lost it's stinging capabilities it might depend a lot more on photosynthesis to recover until it can feed again. hopefully you got the lighting it requires to help it recover.

I have read, and have personally found, that the sooner you can get the anemone from the LFS, the better. This is contrary to what we have all learned about fish. No stick left is not always a good sign. If your lights are more intense than what he was under in the store, he may need to acclimate to the lights as well.

Is his base sticky ? This is key as he may need to move around to find a suitable spot.

JG

i have CF 220 watts .03 half and 10,000k the other half...not sure on the lighting at the store....i guess ill wait a couple days and see what happens

doug

I actually drip acclimate closer to 3 drops/sec for 60-90 minutes and then about 6 drops/sec for the remaining 30 to 90 minutes.

No, not anemones, only about 1 hour after temp acclimating.

If you spend the money, take the time to avoid possible problems.

I have one also. I had it under mh in the 90 tank and it tried to hide under the rocks. I've since moved it to a smaller tank with 130 watts of pc and am having to keep the light on the opposite end of the tank and moving it slowly to cover the whole tank eventually. When the lights are on he stays pretty much shrunk into his rock but when the lights go out he fully extends. I'm beginning to wonder about the recommendations for high lighting for these animals. I am not seeing it.

I agree my BTA is doing very good.....he has just relocated closer to my PC 130watt. He now stays on top of my live rock, nice and plump looking. I did however just start feeding him....after the advice of a club member. I just mash up some pellet fish food and add water and but in in a little turkey baster and squirt it at him :lol:

electrikat: yeah mine acts exactly like that....i went home yesterday to the exact same thing....turned the living room light on and he was about 5" across....lights go on its now a silver dollar size...

doug

Back
Top Bottom